Because everything is better with blue meters

smartin53

Managed to get ahold of an MPM4000 and wired it up to hook into any amp. The only catch is I have 8 ohm speakers so even when hooked up to the 4 ohm tap I don't think it reads quite right.

Now I just need to figure out a good way of enclosing the thing. A walnut case would be best but I'd have to fabricate something from scratch and right now I don't have the resources to do that.

Attachments

• dynacometers1.jpg
    dynacometers1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 128
  • dynacometers2.jpg
    dynacometers2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 199
Go to www.mcintoshcabinets.com with a link on this web site. I'm sure he can custom make a cabinet for you. If your speakers and amp are 8 ohms then the meters will be reading 3 db low. I'm npt familiar with the meter display, but I would think there would be an impedance switch some where.

Unfortunately no switch for this unit. It is hard wired for 4ohm speakers since that is a typical car audio spec.

I know everyone is hooked on the Blue meters, but I prefer the soft green Mac used originally with 2505, 2105's etc etc. I don't remember when we received our first amp with Blue meters or if it was when I was visiting another dealer in my travels, but I took an instant dislike to them. Now with my two 207's I have sort of become accustomed to their look. Though my 2505 and 206 remind me of my repressed dislike. Why have Green lettering on the face plates and Blue meters. And Blue is very hard on the eyes in a dark room, thats why they use red lights in submarines before going out on deck at night. Anyone ever gone to a Blue Ballet performance and come out crying from the Lighting. Les Sylphides, and Giselle, with some scenes from Swan Lake come to mind! Its not the dancing that makes you leave the Hall weeping from emotions, its the Blue light! Try it for weeks at a time, no matter the love of the music or the Dance.

Actually when you look at the meters in the dark, the MPM4000 has more of the bluish green tint I think you prefer. It's hard to capture but it definitely isn't as blue as some of the modern stuff as indicated by the iPad app.

Also thanks for the reminder on the cabinet website. I shot him a request for what I was looking for so we'll see what he can do.

Attachments

• meters.jpg
    meters.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Was it difficult to find the meter unit? I bet there are some folks that would get a kick out of adding that to their MC250/MC100 etc. based systems. Can you elaborate on how you wired? I'm imagining meters dancing atop my MC250 as it tickles the Maggies. It never ends...

Was it difficult to find the meter unit? I bet there are some folks that would get a kick out of adding that to their MC250/MC100 etc. based systems. Can you elaborate on how you wired? I'm imagining meters dancing atop my MC250 as it tickles the Maggies. It never ends...

It's not too hard. They show up on ebay from time to time though pricing can be a bit high at times. One popped up for a good price one day so I snagged it. Be careful as many that appear seem to be missing the aluminum end trim caps. Mine was missing the mounting accessories but was otherwise perfect and I really don't need them for my purposes.

As for wiring, here is a big pic of how I hooked mine up. I used a 12V 1A wall wart, cut the end off, and then wired it in. I hooked up all the leads needing power to the + wire, ground to the -, hooked up some speaker wires to the L/R chans, and then you just connect those channels to the same leads as the speakers on the amp. I'm gonna do some cleanup once I properly enclose this thing but for now its in a functional state.

mpm4000wiring.jpg

Back
Top Bottom