St. Louis Cabin Fever gathering Sat., Feb. 23

sheltie dave

Addicted Member
We have set our next Cabin Fever gathering for Saturday, Feb. 23, starting at 2 pm. We will have a crockpot of chili to warm folks up, and we would invite attendees to bring a dish, snacks, or other tasties and beverages to suit. I have been working on regrouping the stereos in the basement, and with the help of a few friends, I think we will have a very interesting set of selections this go-around.

Anchoring the kitchen system will be Willie's new custom tube amp project, driving a set of Altec Model 19s. Liam probably will be helping Willie, as his tastes run more toward jazz at this time.
845.jpg

In the main room, Kent's new Shuguand L12 EL84 based tube integrated will be driving the modded 1963 Klipsch KHorns.
DSCN1595-1.jpg

shuguangi12-1_zpsc2cd0a48.jpg

The second system will comprise a McIntosh 1700 receiver with Altec 604Es in Barzilay cabinets.
DSCN2614_zps3519e9e0.jpg

The third system will feature a Monarchy Audio Stereo 70 Pro amp, Juicy Music preamp, and Fulton speakers.
DSCN1947.jpg

The back bedroom will be a special treat, as Charlie and Mike from St. Louis Stereo have bespoken a new Leben CS300x EL84 based integrated tube amp, Leben phono preamp, and our Pioneer PL540 turntable with Shure V15v cartride, for the vinyl lovers.
cs300x_zpse2299db1.jpg

DSCN2594_zps33bd416f.jpg

As room is limited, we kindly ask all attendees to RSVP. Parking is available on street within a block of our house, as we must hold one spot in the driveway for unloading, three spots will be taken. I will pm directions on Thursday evening prior to the event.

Last edited:
I'll have to check my schedule, but I might be able to make it. If I do, I'll try to get the Fisher 70 series Swamp Rats in tune for a test run.

If I can get off work (I am sure I can), I'll be there!

I can't wait to hear 604's in proper cabinets.

I'll probably bring the Suburban, so I can park a few blocks away if need be, to let others who need to park closer do so.

Last edited:
Dave
Great Heywood Wakefield Table too!

I have a nice set of 4430's if anyone thinks there is not enough stuff there?

Ed

Ed, we'll run out of room real quick if you start bringing medium sized speakers like that :D John is bringing his NS1000s, and that is about all the room we have this time. We have plenty of midcentury modern furniture, with HeyWake leading the charge.

Did you buy JBLBeer's 4430s, or have you had these for a while?

I would bring something bigger but my Sprinter is running rough.

I pulled the 4430s from behind the front wall of a room I upgraded last year,27 years old and never saw the light of day.
Antech sold them originally along with a load of Mac stuff that I yanked out of there and sold years ago.

Had the Woofers redone and now they are in a 3 pair rotation with 2 pair of Thiels in my room.

My only problem is that I don't have a huge amp that takes less than an hour to warm up and they heat up too much to let run all the time which really cuts into my spur of the moment listening sessions.

The JBLs are far too nice to cut loose too.

I also have a decent h/w setup also sprinkled with Craftsmen Style too,Stickley,Roycroft etc.

I do need a bigger house.

Ed

I would love to attend. I just got back into the audio scene. But alas I will be testing a few race cars over that day.

Man, I have a friend who lives in st louis. I'll have to plan ahead next time and come out to see you guys. This looks like a hellofa good time.

It would be nice to see some Chicago denizens down here, Keith. With the conflict, maybe next time!:yes:

Last edited:
Seven days before THAT day, and the basement is clean! Please RSVP so we can firm up a head count, and get a handle on staging. So far we have RSVPs from...
Bob A
Willie
Kent
Charlie S
Mike P
Mike M
Mike J
Steve A
Kevin
John
Sam R
David M
Ed
Bill G
Alan G
Roger S
Joe w two guests
Beau G
Theo
Ken S

Again, a friendly reminder to RSVP.

Last edited:
Last but not least, the humble kitchen system that Willie's new tube amp will be driving...Altec Model 19s with a Juicy Music Merlin linestage preamp.

DSCN2623_zps7bd68dbc.jpg

Sam has about half an inch with rain/sleet in Springfield. We got five inches, with about an inch being sleet/rain pellets. The driveway is all cleared, so we are good for Saturday. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom