An Adventure on Kauai

specialidiot

Break Glass, Smoke Lucky
I was on Kauai for my older brother's wedding which was Saturday the 5th. The following Sunday, my younger brother, his wife, and I decided to hike a state park near Hanalei and see a waterfall called Hanakapiai. It was a coolish day in the mid 70s with a forecast for scattered showers. We took off from the trailhead around 10:30 and hiked to two miles to the stream and beach, crossing the stream easily without needing to get our feet wet at all. We then turned up the canyon, following the path upstream knowing there were a couple more crossings as we got higher. After about 20 minutes the hikers coming downhill got more frequent and then they are telling us that we might as well turn around the water is too high to cross.

We decided to have a look anyway and when we got there, there was a human chain in process! There were 5 men and women across assisting two women from upstream, and it was pretty hairy. Nope, not gonna go any farther and we turned around.

Well when we got back to the beach and lower crossing, this is what we found.

hanakapaiai2.jpg

Our gentle brook was now a roaring rapids. No way.

We spent the next several hours (now its about 1:00 pm) watching several macho types trying to devise ways across. They were hauling fence gates, bamboo poles, etc and nothing was going to work. Someone linked 5 lifeguard floats together and that reached across. Two fools actually got in the water and managed to cross, but not without some very hairy moments.

Around 4:30 Lihue Fire and Rescue shows up in a Bell 500 helicopter. There is a little clearing a few hundred feet up and I guess that's an evacuation landing zone. One of the four comes down and tells us that there are people stranded up by the falls, including a little boy who was washed down several hundred feet and was sitting on a rock ledge in the middle of the rapids.

We watched them rig up a 100' tether and basket and off they go. They brought 6 people including the little boy, and a father with a three year old.

Hanakapiai5.jpg

There were another 15 stranded at a higher landing zone, and the chopper took them back to the trail head, 4 at a time. Then they returned and got the little boy, the dad with the girl, and another 3 loads of hikers from our location before it got too dark to fly. At least they got off all of the families with small kids.

There was a trail maintenance shed with a corrugated tin lean too that we spied, and decided to see what was up there for cover. All we had was a bottle of water each, and like most day hikers, only wearing shorts and tshirts along with our sneakers. I had a backpack with dry socks, flipflops and another tshirt. A young couple was up there claiming it as their's and we explained that there were at least 50 people stranded with them and that they would be sharing.

Here's the shed, the picture of the chopper was taken from the lean too.

Hanakapiai6.jpg

OK so now it's dark. Two of the rescue guys were going to stay the night with us. They managed to get a fire going down by the crossing, and some of the hikers coming in from multi-day trips had some food and water filters so we got busy with that.

Up to this point, there had not been a drop of rain, but now a few light showers were passing through. I had found a roll of construction grade trash can liners so those got passed out for warmth and rain gear. A couple of tarps from the tool shed were put down on the floor of the lean too. Oh, I forgot to mention - the inside of the shed was filthy and smelled horrible. We figured it was a health risk and we'd better stay out.

Our little crew at the shed/lean too consisted of about 11 of us, including an elderly couple from Austria, and a few others from around the country. At 56, I was next oldest. My brother was trying to get a fire going but there wasn't any wood dry enough, so that didn't work.

Finally we are drifting off to sleep. One couple had space blankets. Those suckers are loud, I wanted to strangle them because they would not stop moving!

To make matters worse, around 11 PM the "widely scattered showers" became a steady and heavy rain that would last until dawn. It got cold enough that the trash can liners were not enough to keep several of us warm - I was shivering uncontrollably and wrapped myself in a corner of the tarp.

By 4 AM our little shelter was soaked, and we were all on our feet huddling to stay warm. One of the rescue guys stopped by and said we looked pretty good compared to the 50 or so that didn't have shelters. They managed to get a fire going though, and kept a bonfire fueled through the night.

Finally daylight about 6:30, and the rain stopped. We tramped around the thoroughly messy area, and everyone was walking around to stay warm, muddy has hell and half asleep. But the sound of the returning chopper cheered us up and they lined us up to leave, 4 at a time.

Here's our group being shown the way - my first helicopter ride! It was only 3 minutes long but thrilling. My brother is an airline pilot so of course he was watching the gauges and he told me the pilot had the thing redlined. He has a video I hope to post later.

You can see the waterfall at the left in the picture.

Hanakapiai7.jpg

So that was yesterday morning, and I got on the red eye flight last night to LA, then on to MSP this afternoon. I slept most of the way home, and am off to bed now but I had to share my experience.

Here's one local news story. Watch the video, you can see me at about 1:58, in the grey tshirt and dark shorts kind of in the middle of the group with one leg up on a rock.

http://www.kitv.com/news/Close-call-for-hikers-stranded-on-Kauai-trail/25372126

Last edited:
Wow, Jeff. I'm glad you all made it out safely. That was an amazing survival story.

A pleasant afternoon adventure turned into a harrowing experience. One never knows what is right around the corner, happy to hear it came to a safe conclusion.

Tapatalk

Glad you made it out, buddy. Makes for a great story now that it's over.

Hawaii is paradise, but it's also unpredictable. Nature has a way of being that way, especially in a tropical island location set among shockingly tall and steep volcanic mountains. Water run off can come suddenly, extremely and without apparent warning. A drenching rain 4 or 5 miles away can lead to a seemingly placid creak bubbling up to a raging stream within minutes.

I'm glad it all worked out. It could have been much worse. You could have been stranded at 10,000 feet trying to scale Mt. Everest during a raging storm for a week. At least you had company and a warmer climate.

Aloha- and thanks for visiting.
Billy

I tell people that they are welcome to visit, but avoid being da kine on the news being rescued by the helicopters. ;) (happens every day) Glade you and the 121 others got safely rescued out of there.

Another tip, if you are the only people (no locals in sight) at a place or about to go for a swim, make sure their isn't a good reason for why you are there alone. Sometimes the simple answer is it's dangerous to be there today.

As always, take care,

Rob

P. S. Update: The cost of the rescue has convinced the state to put in a bridge.

R.

Last edited:
Ahhhh it's your name... that you picked... .:scratch2: :scratch2:

Got it, just wanted to make sure. I'm a little sensitive to the fact that we crossed that stream on a sunny morning with only scattered showers in the forecast.

Yes some people do stupid stuff that puts them in harm's way but that's not the case here and I'll send Jay after anyone who says otherwise. :yes:

Yeah... BUT the underlying reality is that you didn't have enough knowledge of the area and how quickly those conditions could change.

Doesn't make you an idiot, just not well enough informed about where you were/when you were there. I have done it myself, once got just a bit too far up a really dangerous section of loose shale & rock in the mountains outside Boulder (with a friend) w/o accurately assessing time of day, how long it was taking us to climb this little foothill with the rock conditions that bad, how long it would take to get back down, and how quickly it gets dark out on the wrong side of a mountain. We managed to make it out of there intact but not without some serious WTF are we doing here moments. Didn't have the clothing or supplies to do very well on a forced overnight stay on that mountain, either.

Same thing happens routinely other places. Here in San Diego, it's people climbing down the cliffs at the beach, or hikers getting stranded lost or heat-stroked on an inland mountain. Locals have seen the news reports of chopper rescues enough to know that it can be dangerous to do any of those things no matter how easy it looks at the outset.

John

Yeah... BUT the underlying reality is that you didn't have enough knowledge of the area and how quickly those conditions could change.

Also the reality could be that some people think the know everything about every situation when they really don't, and shouldn't be making judgement calls.

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut.

Glad you survived the ordeal...

John

Also the reality could be that some people think the know everything about every situation when they really don't, and shouldn't be making judgement calls.

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut.

I am so glad you made it out OK. We were in Kauai in February and the weather was very unpredictable. They day after the Hanalei river was close to flood stage, we left sunny Lihue on a doorless helo tour. What an incredible experience. Even though your flight was short and tense, I am sure it was a thrill.

Last edited:
Here's our group being shown the way - my first helicopter ride! It was only 3 minutes long but thrilling. My brother is an airline pilot so of course he was watching the gauges and he told me the pilot had the thing redlined. He has a video I hope to post later.
.....I'd like very much to see that one.....

Back
Top Bottom