Santana's "Abraxas" in 1970?

Wes_in_VA

I listen to Abraxas now--even after hearing it how many hundreds of times?--and I'm blown away. It sounds so fresh even 44 years later.
I wonder how it must have sounded to those who heard it in 1970?

Kinda like Led Zeppelin I when it hit: man, that was a GAME CHANGER.

Well, I'll tell you what is sounded like to me. I heard it on a college radio station and they played it in its entirety, I think. I thought it was so beautiful. When it was done and they said what it was I ran out and got it. I never get tired of that album, or the "Flying Man" album. If you haven't heard that one, check it out.

I remember both Abraxas and Led Zep I being released and they were amazing. I was 16, just starting to drive and in a rock band so a LOT of what was coming out at that time was very exciting to a lot of us. At the time many of us thought that nothing that preceded it was nearly as good. That wasn't particularly true but it doesn't change the fact that so much of it has and will continue to stand the test of time. Guess that's why they call it classic rock! Continue to enjoy the music Wes!

It was stupendous!
First got it and played it on my then NEW Quad Tube System using a Thorens TT:)

Some Bud's, a little mescaline and pass around the water pipe. I'm still trying to figure out how I even got to some of those places much less woke up there. Great music to lose yourself in but I still wonder how I ever got out alive. Not saying I'm sane but at least I'm alive. I think.

Its the definition of a timeless album.....the MoFi I got last yr is brilliant.

Abraxas_zpse34590d4.jpg

While I preferred (still do) the debut LP:

Santana-FullAlbum.jpg

Abraxas was pretty darned good, for 1970 or any other years.

I listen to Abraxas now--even after hearing it how many hundreds of times?--and I'm blown away. It sounds so fresh even 44 years later.
I wonder how it must have sounded to those who heard it in 1970? ....

Funny you should mention this album.

Back in the early to mid 70's, when I was first checking systems out, this was the album that was used in 99% as a source, in terms of sonic attributes, separation, sound-stage, presence, etc..

It was an album that set the bar.

Kick-ass!

:thmbsp:

I was a bit a young at 11 years in 1970 to be aware of Abraxas, but my neighbor gave me III for Christmas when it came out in '71... blew my mind. I clearly remember staring at the gatefold while listening for hours on my $19.99 plastic all-in-one system.

I really didn't listen to and appreciate Abraxas until college, and still prefer III.

I've been messing with some new streaming equipment into a DSD dac and just played my SACD rip of Abraxas.

Yes, it really is something special, all these years later.

(and the DSD smokes my beat-up old vinyl copy)

Back
Top Bottom