Walkman turns 35, kids baffled by retro tech

I still use my Sony "Sports" cassette Walkman (in bright yellow!!) as part of my portable music system (with Sennheiser PX200 headphones). I have an iPod Nano and an iPhone 5....no music on either one.

I still have an original AM/FM Walkman that works fine. Purchased in 80 or 81

I also recently saw the clip where they placed the old fashioned rotary dial phones in front of kids to see the responses. Pretty funny.

Now you can buy one at a thrift for $5. I wonder if it will be the same with ipods/ipads in 20 years?
They are already going for <$30, so I don't think you'll have to wait 20 years. Meanwhile, a handful of the early Walkman models (and a few later ones with fancy recording features) are selling for $50-200+.

My first WM knockoff was purchased in Woolworths as a birthday present for me by my parents in 1984 (I was still at school). Unfortunately,it was made by ALBA. It wouldn't work whatsoever (completely dead),so we were refunded,and instead I got to choose a nice bright yellow color one from Boots (the chemists). It was Boots own brand,but was made in Japan.. It lasted very well.

I sold the first Walkman from a store called Chafitz (anyone remember them- Boris chess computers, the first satellite receivers, etc etc in Rockville ,MD)) back in 1979. As I remember, the best part about that first Walkman was the headphone, the MDR-3
Been 20+ years since I had a working pair but it was as good as the first model Koss PortaPro. Sad when you think of the garbage phone's packed with players now, the source got better but the transducer went to hell.

Found this amusing:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/tech/2014/04/16/mxp-kids-attempt-the-walkman.hln&hpt=te_r1&video_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2FTECH%2F%3Fhpt%3Dsitenav#/video/tech/2014/04/16/mxp-kids-attempt-the-walkman.hln

I remember buying my first WM knockoff in 1983 (couldn't afford the real thing then and it still cost $150!).

Now you can buy one at a thrift for $5. I wonder if it will be the same with ipods/ipads in 20 years?

My folks got me a WM2 for my 14th birthday as a combined birthday/Christmas gift. And a Duran Duran cassette. The former got a lot of use, the latter, not so much.

-D

I liked Duran Duran then, and I still do now. They're actually still recording and touring after all these years.

I liked Duran Duran then, and I still do now. They're actually still recording and touring after all these years.

Yeah, the Rio album was pretty decent (that's what the tape was), but at the time I was more into punk.

-D

Back
Top Bottom