Fuse Resistors - The where's, why's and how's

Most fuse resistors are classified as 1/4 watt with a few called out as 1/2 watt. Sansui used fuse resistors in locations that were likely to pass high current during a component failure. The idea is that the fuse resistor will open and shut down the amp. They didn't consider that these amps would still be in use nearly 40 years later. They have a tendency to fail over time.

It is important to use nonflammable (metal film, not carbon) replacements because these resistor can overheat in a failure. Keeping the 1/4 watt resistor value during replacement will give a slightly higher level of protection during a failure because it will be more likely to open than a 1/2 watt resistor. Is this necessary? Hard to say. I generally use 1/2 watt.

(...)

- Pete

When I think I put the 1W rated resistors in that amp... :(

Just replaced the 150Ω fuse resistors R35/R36/R45/R46 in an AU-317 per post #4. All of these had drifted high, but I was surprised to see how far one of them had gone. I took readings with the resistors removed from the amp and this is what I found: 2.2kΩ, 2.6kΩ, 218Ω, and 80.7kΩ.

The channel that had the 80k resistor was showing no bias voltage regardless of the trim pot setting. After installing new 150Ω metal films I was able to easily set bias to correct value in both channels

Thanks skippy124 for the useful info and a great thread :thmbsp:

Last edited:
AU-555 Fuse Resistors

I have just read this thread for the first time,what a wonderful resource.

Could anyone please provide me with the values & locations for the fuse resistors on the AU-555.

I think that my amplifier needs replacements after reading what happens when they go out of spec.

Thank you in advance,
Regards,earleb.

Welcome to the Exclusively Sansui forum earleb.

I don't think there are any fuse resistors in the AU-555, however this thread was started and is 'owned' by skippy124 (John). I am certain he has restored at least one AU-555, so he will very likely know for sure if there are any.

Please be patient and I am sure he will post here to confirm. ;)

Last edited:
Hi earleb, and as John said, welcome to the forum.

There are no fuse resistors in the AU-555, but there are some other components that can cause issues such as the 2SC458 transistors.

If you are having problems with your 555 then it would be best to start a thread on this, where you will get help.

Cheers

John

Hi earleb, and as John said, welcome to the forum.

There are no fuse resistors in the AU-555, but there are some other components that can cause issues such as the 2SC458 transistors.

If you are having problems with your 555 then it would be best to start a thread on this, where you will get help.

Cheers

John

Hyperion & skippy124,Thank you for the welcome.

I am a non technical person and starting a new thread would be a waste of your time.

I have only owned the AU 555 for a short time.Only one previous owner and by the condition of the amp,inside and out must have been stored away for the last 40+ years.

I picked up an immaculate pair of Klipsch KG-4 in the past week and that is when I noticed the noise issue.
The amp seems to have too much gain when partnered with these speakers.

Today I thought I would try my Silk TVC with the Sansui power section only.
The outcome,hardly any noise at all.
I would have to put my ear next to the speaker to confirm that the amp is switched on.

The only mods that I have done is to replace all the capacitors,a mixture of high quality Nichicon,Elna & Panasonic.

A thank you to petemac on StereoNet for his help via PM's

So,while I love the AU 555 as an integrated amp I can live quite happily with using it as a power amp.

Best regards,Earle.

Hi Earle,

If you are having noise problems (hiss, crackles and/or pops), then it is highly likely being caused by the 2SC458 transistors in the preamp sections. These are known noise makers. If you have successfully done a recap, then you should be capable of replacing the transistors in the preamp sections with some guidance. Let us know if you would like to have a go at this.

Cheers

John

(PS - pete_mac on SNA is my son)

AU-7900 fuse resistors and VD112 Diodes. The photo is taken after a recap on hte power amp board, and the four 220 ohm fuse resistors (circled in green) and the four VD1212 diodes have been replaced

I also have recently worked on an AU-5900 - and no fuse resistors in this unit (at least no 1/2 Watt ones, there are larger fuse or NIR resistors but I have found these typically don't drift high).

Cheers

John

Kevzep mentioned it in passing a while back, but it's real important to put the dogleg bends in the new resistors before mounting.

fuseresistors003sm.jpg

This stands them proud of the board and minimizes damage from heat or overload. Actually not a bad habit to get into with any light weight components that won't be prone to toppling over ...

Also good habit to insulate the long leads if you mount one vertically. Don't want those shorting if you happen to fat finger one while working on a board. Insulation stripped from 22ga hookup wire works well for that.

PS ... where's all the pics for the QRX receivers? Those got a TON of fuseables scattered about ...

If absent from the original design, I use ceramic beads for lifting hot components, (or fuse resistor substitutes) off the PCB surface. This insulates the leads, holds the component firmly above the PCB surface, and... I think they look cool too :)

lot-of-one-100-l5-steatite-ceramic-thermocouple-fish-spines-beads.jpg

Last edited:
No - none in the AU-919 - I have reconditioned my own, and I am doing another one at the moment. :)

And, although this is an 'old' thread it is meant to be added to, and resurrected from time to time ;)

Back
Top Bottom