Fisher 400c Preamp

I looked at that perfect one that sold the other day, the knobs on it were correct after looking at one in a old Fisher catalog.. If I didn't have the X202B I would gooten that one, was just to nice, unmolested too..

what did that unit sell for?

FWIW, I don't think it's a matter of whether the knobs are correct or not. I think Fisher changed the design and dropped the ability to adjust tone seperately for each channel. I could be wrong, as mine is the only one I have had my hands on and been inside of. Someone here with more experience with the changes and Ad photo's or manuals might be able to shed more light on this subject. I simply don't know what a good one is worth and you all might hate me if you knew what I paid for my unmolested original example back in the nineties. Seems I never get lucky, but that time I kinda won out by accident.

The original X-101ST is a good example regarding knobs Fisher used in the very late 50s. The original unit had the knobs of 400C preamp of discussion that just sold. It was then updated with newer (less architect looking) lighter brown colored knobs, but still with no individual channel adjust. The final version of the same amplifier used the same style knobs, but then incorporated the ability to adjust each channel individually. I'm relatively certain that all of the Fisher equipment that was available during this earliest period of stereo went through this same transition, which by all appearances happened fairly quickly -- and it may be that it was only with the X-101 ST and the 400C, as they are to my knowledge, the earliest non-receiver/tuner stereo pieces offered by Fisher.

Dave

So, then it sounds like the dual tone knobs came on the later models. Surprising, it seems like such an unnessesary feature. Not that Fisher ever scimped on features! Doesn't look quite as sleek to me, even though it's just a minor difference. Maybe though a little more user friendly than when all the knobs look the same.

HiFi -- early "home brew" stereo setups were often made up of dissimilar speakers until "stereo" really came into its own. Therefore, many of the early stand alone units had the ability to adjust each channel separately. It may well be that the Fisher units that were destined for Fisher consoles (where the speakers would be identical) were the ones with the early ganged controls. However, the feature caught on to become a standard in the industry, so the feature remained will after the need had vanished.

Dave

my 400c is a wonderful music maker. it wasn't a good example so I hot rodded it. modern connections up graded volume pot. completely rebuilt part wise. along with reworked phono eq with added eq inputs. a perfect match for my 200a amps.

Back
Top Bottom