Maf 2005

gonefishin

Hi guys.
First off...I'd like to thank Mike Baker for putting together such a fine audiofest for us "midwesterners" to attend these past years. One aspect that I really enjoyed about MAF, was the laid back attitude of the whole thing. Everyone was just so darn cool. :)

Some of the things I've enjoyed at the previous MAF events.

There are a number of things I've enjoyed at the previous MAF events. While I love the DIY designs...they aren't the only reason I go. Sure...it's true that I enjoy seeing products and designs from a variety of different companies. These products ranged in prices starting off at next to nothing...and all the way up to products that you would need 60 months financing to afford. It's always fun to look ;)

Also...what I enjoy at this event is seeing the DIY designs. We've all certainly read about others projects, here on the web and in magazines. But what a great opportunity it is, to not only get to see these projects...but to listen to them as well! This is where the real fun is...talking to the DIY guys! If you pay attention to what they say...you may be able to pick up a few pointers. Of course, if your like me, you better bring a pencil and paper...or you WILL forget everything they told you.

Then...of course...you have the seminars. Don McRitchie, Larry Moore...the infamous Bill & Bill...among others. This is the place you could go to learn or share with some of the more knowledgeable people. Every one of them was eager to not only listen to what you had to say...but also to share what they have learned along the path of their travels in this audio world.

All this...and a laid back atmosphere where people were just having a good time talking...kicking back...listening to some tunes...and gawkin' at some awful nice audio equipment.

Thanks Mike Baker.

Unfortunatly...but understandably...It seems that Mike is going to take a well deserved break from hosting this event. I say unfortunate because I'd still like to have an event like this in the midwest.

Well, Brian, of www.venushifi.com, has said he is interested in hosting the next MAF 2005. The event will be takin place a little bit closer to Brian, in Bloomington, Indiana. There are plenty of hotels, bars (with live music!) and restaurants. Did I mention the live music? ;)

What Brian is hoping for, is an event much like the previous MAF's. He still aims to have the same type of manufacturers come...plus a few others (he's got some real nice connections...you know. Being in the Biz and all). Another goal is to have more DIY'ers show up with their systems...sit back...show off the system...listen to some good tunes while ya B.S. with some buddies...whatever you choose to do while displaying your system for the rest of us. Because who knows...after they hear your system...they just may be displaying their own some day (thanks Beancounter ;) )

One area to expand on is vintage gear...maybe some more space given to the vintage crowd. Who knows, perhaps some vintage "swap tables" could even be arranged.

Much like the previous MAF's, the focus was high-efficiency speakers. This focus wouldn't change, but would continue to include consumer gear that is unique in one way or another. Sure, you and I may tend to gravitate to a certain "type" of system (like horns and high efficiency designs)...but there's a lot of really interesting "traditional" gear being produced nowadays, that tends to get overlooked by mainstream publications such as Stereophile.

Another aim that Brian has for MAF 2005 is more music for sale...with possibilities of having some nice vintage vinyl tables set up.

Also, the festivities may start on Friday instead of Saturday.

So, Why would Bloomington be a good choice? Bloomington is an ideal spot for a conference - given that Indiana University is ranked as a Research I institution and has some outstanding athletic programs, the hotel and conference facilities here are outstanding.

These are just some preliminary thoughts to get an idea how much interest is out there. If you are a vendor, manufacturer, dealer, DIY'er, music lover or audio hobbiest...please let us know if your interested.

Is there anything that you would just love to see at MAF 2005?

all questions and comments are VERY welcome.

lastly, I'd like to thank Brian for looking into the possibilities of keeping the MAF torch alive...thanks.

Thanks,
Dan
aka gonefishin

Hi Dan,

Many thanks for helping to get the word out about MAF 2005! I was actually planning on posting something like the above myself this evening, but you've obviously beaten me to the punch...

At any rate, I too would like to thank Mike Baker for creating the Midwest Audio Fest and organizing the first two events - both of which were OUTSTANDING! Mike has left some very big shoes to be filled. But I simply could not stand the thought of MAF fading away with Mike's "retirement", and that's why I've decided to step in and host the next installment myself in 2005.

As noted above, I would like to preserve the overall feel of the last two MAFs as much as possible, but I'd also like to expand the event in certain areas, and I'd definitely appreciate everyone's feedback here. I'll be posting a poll within the next few days regarding what folks would most like to see and hear at MAF 2005.

Happy listening,
Brian
Venus Hi-Fi

MAF 2004

Ron the speakerman told me he read somewhere that the MAF WILL be held [Lima?] in 2004 by someone other than Mike. Anyone hear of this? MikE

Not me but if ya hear anything bout it let me know. Its just a stones throw from me.

grumpy

Back
Top Bottom