Retrofit old Zenith console

see4t

Hi,

New here, so apologies if I should have posted this under a different category.

My girlfriend recently acquired an old Zenith stereo console. The speakers and radio work and good, but the turntable is broken — tone arm is broken at the base, it doesn't turn, the rest for the needle is broken, etc. We haven't been able to get a solid quote on repairing the turntable, but got the impression it's more than we'd want to invest.

So, I'd like to replace the feed with either a Bluetooth receiver or a new turntable. What suggestions does everyone have? I can do basic soldering, but that's about as far as my electrical skills go. I assume it wouldn't be as simple as clipping the wire to the turntable and splicing in a bluetooth receiver?

Ok, thanks in advance for any help. I was happily surprised to come across this active forum.

Edit: Ack, I just saw the DYI forum, which is probably a better place for this. Sorry! Any way to move a post?

top.JPG

tag.JPG

tag2.JPG

rear.JPG

wires.JPG

Last edited:
If this console has an auxilary or tape input that uses RCA jacks, it might be as easy as plugging into stereo RCA cables and plugging those into the amp. Probably need a 3.5 mil stereo male end to 2 RCA female adaptor, then a stereo patch cord with RCA male plugs on both ends, standard CD or tape deck cable.

The turntable has a ceramic cartridge. If you want to use a turntable with a magnetic cartridge (like most vintage 70's and newer ones use except for really cheap ones), you will need a phono preamp. If the phono connections to the Zenith amp are not RCA, and they probably are not, then you will need to know which pin is which and wire an adapter in also. Sometimes the phono connector carries a power switch wire in it also so the turntable turns on the whole unit. Don't want to use that wire(s) on any replacement that doesn't take the same exact plug (ie stock Zenith unit).

Might be easier to look for a stock table on ebay. Those Zenith 2G's are not that bad. Some of the better ones were even belt drive. Then you might be able to just replace the turntable, plug and play. Can the arm be repaired?

Last edited:
You have a 1964 model.

The turntable is belt driven, not spinning could be the belt is broken or slipped
off or more likely the motor needs to be cleaned and lubed.

How is the tonearm broken at the base? Doesn't look it. On this model, if
the tonearm has been raised manually, you must push down on the rear tonearm housing until it clicks. If this has not been done, the tonearm will
act like it is broken.
New stylus (needle) is not a problem, looks like you are missing the stylus
change knob on top, Gary at thevoiceofmusci.com has these.

If you want to play other sources thru the console, just hook them up to
the AUX or Tape inputs.

Also after 50 years, the amp could use a recap, even if it is working now.

So, this has a transistor output amplifier chassis and a tube radio chassis, I take it, going by the diagram verses the actual photo of a chassis which, obviously is a radio chassis.

I would try to get the existing turntable to work.

Doug

Yup! Hybrid - solid state amplifier and tubed tuner or vice versa.

Zenith paired that same tuner with other amplifiers. This pair came from the same console but both amp and tuner are tubed.

Here is my 2G belt driven turntable. It is a very good turntable which I use on an almost daily basis. It came from another console in which I still have the tubed tuner which has solid state output and separate solid state power amplifier..

Attachments

• 100_2193.jpg
    100_2193.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 100_2196.jpg
    100_2196.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 100_2197.jpg
    100_2197.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_2198.jpg
    100_2198.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 80
Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.

I'd love to get it working again or find a stock table to replace it. Any advice where to get started?

I'm not at home so I can't post a picture, but the tone arm has some broken plastic at the base, and I can't get it to "click."

Unfortunately, I can't find any aux inputs.

Technically, the aux input is where the turntable plugs into the amplifier. Not the 120 volt that powers the turntable's motor but the other 3 pin socket type connector.

These would normally be the two RCA jack connections but Zenith used this method of input. Probably so you couldn't interact with other brands or stuff without hacking the sh** out of it.

When the phono button is pressed on the tuner, and you turn on the turntable, can you hear the amp pop on?

Post a picture of what seems to be broken, maybe I can help.

Zeniths of this period sometimes had the Tape input jacks inside the console and
on some models it was an an extra cost item that was dealer installed. They
were RCA type jacks. Zenith did use a three prong plug on the turntable.

Get nothing when switch is set to phono. I'm assuming that's not good.
Orthophonic, thanks! I'll post a picture of the tonearm when I get home.
Honestly I'm not even seeing any prongs going into the turntable or amp, I guess it might take some more disassembly. In the photos I posted it's the bundle of orange, yellow and gray wire.

Back
Top Bottom