Yamha CA-2010 Restore Pics

39cross

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Here are some pictures of my CA-2010 restore. When I bought it the channels cut out intermittently, the phono ground screw was snapped off, and a couple of the tone control knobs hung out at odd angles. It was clearly in need of a little -well, actually a lot - of love. It took longer than I had hoped to get her back on line but ultimately she is fixed up, working fine and is being actively listened too. Sounds very nice, too.

Deoxit cleaned up the channel dropouts and pops at the selector and tone controls. Avionic kindly suggested a phono ground replacement. All e-caps were replaced, except for the two big filter caps; I have replacements on hand for them now, but they will have to wait, I wanted to start using the darned thing.

Let's see, what else....I replaced the lamps with LED's. Both relays were replaced, this was a minor PITA, since they were not drop-in. The VD1212's were replaced with 1N1418's. One of the phono input traces was munged, so I addressed that. Schematic/amp mismatches: one of the axial caps on the coupler circuit board did not match the schematic, there were also some caps on the function board that did not match, so you will want to to check those before ordering.

The biggest challenges were the main amp boards. At one point a few of the metal tabs where the wires are attached just plain fell off the board, metal stress I guess. This lead to fuses blowing but fortunately no harm. On close inspection I could see someone had been in there before and re-soldered the other metal tabs, so this was an issue in the waiting. I also had amp problems that were not solved until I re-flowed all of the main amp solder joints, the heat from Class A operation must be responsible for this failure.

It was well worth all the time and effort. I really like how Yamaha built this amp, you can tell they put some money into the volume and tone controls. I have a Thorens TD-145 using Denon DL-103 MC cartridge hooked up and the phono section sounds very good.

Pictures follow, first the power board. I used a mix of Nichicon ES, HE and PW, and a couple Panasonic ECQ film caps (1uf/50v). You can also see the shiny new relay.

attachment.php

Attachments

• ca-2010-PB.jpg
    ca-2010-PB.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Next, here is the tone control board. There are some VD1212 replacements here next to the chunky white resistors.
attachment.php

The EQ half of the function board. Nichicon KL's were used to replace the tantalum caps. The brown caps are Elna Silmic II's.
attachment.php

The other half of the function board. There are some VD1212's repalced here as well.
attachment.php

Here are the main amp boards. New Bournes trim pots. Also I replaced the 1uf/80v caps with Wima 1uf/100v. These were the only e-caps on these boards.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Ca-2010-tone.jpg
    Ca-2010-tone.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 461
  • ca-2010-eq.jpg
    ca-2010-eq.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 461
  • ca-2010-function.jpg
    ca-2010-function.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 458
  • ca2010-main.jpg
    ca2010-main.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:

Replacement phono ground. The serial number is 1980, I wonder how many of these they made?
attachment.php

Power meters with LED's. Maybe a little too bright. But I can live with it.
attachment.php

Unfortunately the case has some deep scratches in it. I'm not sure of the best way to handle those. But it would be better to build a new case cover, the ventilation is totally inadequate in Class A operation.
attachment.php

Attachments

• ca-2010-ground.jpg
    ca-2010-ground.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 449
  • ca-2010-LED-PM.jpg
    ca-2010-LED-PM.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 458
  • ca-2010-case.jpg
    ca-2010-case.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
beautiful ... love the 2010!! - In my experience the 8, 10 & 20 TENS respond really nicely to the LED upgrades to the meters.

:lurk:

Did you have to replace any transistor? I was planning to replace some in my CA-810, but I left it because didn't have any issue or hiss (so far)...

Last edited:
beautiful ... love the 2010!! - In my experience the 8, 10 & 20 TENS respond really nicely to the LED upgrades to the meters.
Thanks mate! I admired your CA-1010 restore.

:lurk:
Did you have to replace any transistor? I was planning to replace some in my CA-810, but I left it because didn't have any issue or hiss (so far)...
No, I did not replace any transistors because they were faulty or noisy.
I did have to replace a few, however, because of some bad luck but it was my fault :-(

Rub a walnut (the nut inside, not the shell) on the scratches. At least the will be less visible. A great trick.

Wow! Nice work. Hope mine sounds good too. Just got it a few days ago and won't be able to plug it until next weekend.

Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm interested in knowing where you got the new phono ground that avionic recommended to you? Mine is also missing. avionic, is the link to the relay the exact one that fits in the 2010?

Just to answer a previous question, my CA-2010 is #03453 so I guess quite a few of them were made. :yes:

Thanks!

Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm interested in knowing where you got the new phono ground that avionic recommended to you? Mine is also missing. avionic, is the link to the relay the exact one that fits in the 2010?

Just to answer a previous question, my CA-2010 is #03453 so I guess quite a few of them were made. :yes:

Thanks!

http://www.vampirewire.com/viewitem.php?productid=25

is the link to the relay the exact one that fits in the 2010?
Yes. Or this one..
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/HL2-HP-DC12V-F/255-2395-ND/1956559

Last edited:
Thanks!
Well, at least 3,453 ;-)

Avionic answered your other questions. But I'll add, I restored a CA-2010 for a friend recently, and used the recommend drop-in relay, worked like a charm.

Thank you!

39cross, you wouldn't happen to have a parts list for the work you've done on the 2010s?

Thanks again!

Here is the list I used. Someone posted this earlier, and I adapted it for my use. I've updated it to include Avionic's recommended relay and phono ground replacements. There are links to the Mouser part numbers. There are places where I use other parts than the OP listed; I am sure there are plenty of other good choices.

Note 2015-01-01 - see updated attachment below.

Last edited:
Here is the list I used. Someone posted this earlier, and I adapted it for my use. I've updated it to include Avionic's recommended relay and phono ground replacements. There are links to the Mouser part numbers. There are places where I use other parts than the OP listed; I am sure there are plenty of other good choices.

Thank you again 39cross! Sorry I hadn't seen your reply and list earlier. Was out on a trip.

Nice work.

That was my recap list. Might have to update it now. :D

You might want to put the note I had back in re: some mislabeled parts from Mouser

"*DO NOT order UPM1J331MHD1AA, they are snap in
NOT leaded! Mouser part stock error!"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom