Yamaha A-1

The Fez

Its been quite a while since I had some vintage Yamaha in the stable. At one point I had a large collection of CA series Yamaha integrated amplifiers. Late 1970's vintage -- from the CA-510 through to the very nice TOTL CA-2010. (note to self, get another CA-2010/2000 and don't sell this one dummy!) ....Still have the CR-2020 beautiful (yet prone to getting a little hot under the collar :D )receiver -- not goin' anywhere that one...

I was reading about the A-1 some time ago, and thought it is certainly an interesting amplifier. From around the same era as the CA series, (starting 1978) but produced later into early 80's.

Two versions were produced, one silver, one black. Silver was made for the Japan market, and the black is the export model. Identical specs as far as I can see, and apart from the colour, the top covers have different designs and finishes. I was lucky enough to pick up an export model recently and have acquired also the Japanese model.

A discrete amplifier, with a reputedly very nice phono "disc" stage inside. All DC design.

Both amplifiers are working, but are really showing their age, and will obviously benefit from a full restoration -- no question. Following a very brief listen, something tells me this amp could be something special.

With a really nice minimalist Yamaha design, the A-1 is a classic.

I was wondering if Yamaha had a dual power supply integrated amp, like the Kenwoods and Sansuis...now I know! The heatsinks look kinda like sawed off versions from a 1010/2010. Looks like it's pretty tight in there.

Looking forward to reading the details on your project. I recall your photos and description of a 2010 (or was it a 1010) you restored a while ago, it was helpful.

Its been quite a while since I had some vintage Yamaha in the stable. At one point I had a large collection of CA series Yamaha integrated amplifiers. Late 1970's vintage -- from the CA-510 through to the very nice TOTL CA-2010. (note to self, get another CA-2010/2000 and don't sell this one dummy!) ....Still have the CR-2020 beautiful (yet prone to getting a little hot under the collar :D )receiver -- not goin' anywhere that one...

:yikes: You SOLD the 2010??? :yikes:

:bash:

silly man.

I had bought am A1 as a starter system for a friend that had been through 'Desert Storm' or was it the 'fall of Saigon' well anyway (along with C4/M4) Yamaha gear from this era seems to save 9 or 10 lives and even though they looked like a 'bad romance' just closes your eyes and listen is what I'd would always say. I can't say that with confidence with say a C85/M85, looks matter. If they look like Keith Richards, rehab might be expensive and time consuming. Your mileage might...

My M4 had been on 7/20 (sometimes 24) for the past 6 years. I never get tired of the amp lights, the A1 seems to share this quality too, which is really cool. With any piece of modern LED gear, I'm always looking for something to put in front of the lamps. Did I say how much I love the amp lights? OK I just wanted to re stress that point.

The Silver one rocks. Thanks again!

I know. A moment of madness. Crazy stuff...

I actually had a chance awhile back at one in similar condition to that one you had... in multi-volt. Complete with CT-1010 and matching tape deck. I didn't have the cash, and you already had one. Little did I know.... :sigh:

I was wondering if Yamaha had a dual power supply integrated amp, like the Kenwoods and Sansuis...now I know!

Actually the A-1 has not a dual power supply....just 2 transformers connected in parallel.

Interesting... I was wondering the same (dual power supply). So, the unit has two "small" transformers, instead of a bigger one? :scratch2:

a-1(1).JPG

{edit} There's one rectifier bridge from this view.

Last edited:
i just had a trusted tech go through my A-1 and he found it putting out almost 100 watts per channel at 8 ohms, and needed nothing other than controls cleaned and new lamps for the switches.

Interesting... I was wondering the same (dual power supply). So, the unit has two "small" transformers, instead of a bigger one? :scratch2:

They don't look very "small"! :)
In the user manual, Yamaha states that the two beefy transformers are connected in parallel to cancel their respective leakage flux and the two big 18,000µF Nichicon caps are bypassed with two 2,2µF metallized mylar film caps to improve impedance rise in the high frequency region.

They don't look very "small"! :)
In the user manual, Yamaha states that the two beefy transformers are connected in parallel to cancel their respective leakage flux and the two big 18,000µF Nichicon caps are bypassed with two 2,2µF metallized mylar film caps to improve impedance rise in the high frequency region.

Thanks, claneg! Quite stable and linear, then! :)

Well, whaddya know! An interesting little digression.

There is a nice description of the A-1, along with other landmark Yamaha models here: http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/hifi-history/integrated-amplifier/. The use of the parallel connected transformers is noted as :

The power supply section was somewhat unusual, featuring two power transformers, and a pair of block aluminum electrolytic capacitors, but the idea was that the leakage flux from the two transformers connected in parallel would cancel.

Back
Top Bottom