Yamaha CX-2 Preamplifier

darth

Finally got my hands on one of these...wow. I have owned a CX-830 for years and I think the CX-2 is a gem too. I am mostly a vinyl listener and the phono section is VERY nice. Does anybody have the TOTL CX-1, if so, how does it's phono section compare to the CX-2?

The phono stage of the CX-1 is excellent. It's so good that a friend wanted to buy the CX-1. I sold it to him only because he was a good friend and the CX-1 was not being used (it was part of my collection of TOTL Yamaha gear). I haven't heard the phono stage of the CX-2.

the cx-1is a higher quality unit than cx-2

Finally got my hands on one of these...wow. I have owned a CX-830 for years and I think the CX-2 is a gem too. I am mostly a vinyl listener and the phono section is VERY nice. Does anybody have the TOTL CX-1, if so, how does it's phono section compare to the CX-2?
but that being said cx-2 is the last of the yamaha preamps, and a very fine one. I use it with a Yamaha Px-3 linear TT with grace f 9e cartridge, When I do records, which does not happen much now with my Marantz Sa11 s1 cd/sacd player. google vintage knob for write up on cx-1. cx-2. I was told by Yamaha tech person at Yamaha not to buy Cx-1 and buy cx-2 . The cx-1 has a history of cold solder joints.

What took so long, you were going to look into this a couple hours ago when I read your post about the CA tt with MC?

Yes, Sensitivity is 100µV or 0.1mV and that will handle all MC cartridges of that output level and higher (HOMC would use the MM setting). Even the VLOMC Ortofon cartridges, 70µV (0.07mV) would be usable, just needing more crank on the volume control and maybe not being able to play the really quiet parts loud. That MC puts out about .44mV so it will be just fine with that phono in MC position.

That's good to know....I'm considering buying a clear audio concept table that comes with chief mc cart....it adds 800 dollars to the table whereas thief mm cart only adds 200 more. I'm going to upgrade from my Technics sl-1600 with a Stanton 6i1eee cart.

Back
Top Bottom