Recapping my C29 today

Flatwounds

Hello all.

I am super excited to refurbish my preamp today. Caps have arrived and I should be enjoying sweet music by this afternoon. A very good tech friend is making a house call. Caps are nichicon.

A few of the panel lamps are out. Do any of you have any experience replacing these. Are they the soldered type or are they the simpler (for me) push type?
Do any of you know a part number or source.

Thanks. Any replies are greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the tardy reply folks. I'm sorry to say I don't have a list. My friend (tech) did the work and ordering.

Buy a schematic........all the electrolytic caps are listed. You really should not dive into one of these units if you are unwilling to send a few bucks to Mac for a schematic to cover yourself if you forget a caps orientation.

Buy a schematic........all the electrolytic caps are listed. You really should not dive into one of these units if you are unwilling to send a few bucks to Mac for a schematic to cover yourself if you forget a caps orientation.
Or you can "cheat" and do the entire unit in Muse green bi-polar caps. :D

I said it in jest although I used a LOT of Muse bi-polar caps on the second of my C34V's. The unit sounds great to me. What is your concern? I know sometimes they are too big to fit in tight spaces.

I keep KG, FG, ES, and some FW caps in stock. Once you have done dozens the stock needs fall into a pattern.

KGs often demand some drilling to get the leads to fit.......

I keep KG, FG, ES, and some FW caps in stock. Once you have done dozens the stock needs fall into a pattern.

KGs often demand some drilling to get the leads to fit.......
I was just responding to BigVoyevoda's unhappy face. There is no technical reason Muse bipolars' can't be used unless it's a golden ear situation?

I was just responding to BigVoyevoda's unhappy face. There is no technical reason Muse bipolars' can't be used unless it's a golden ear situation?

I apologize for not being more helpful. I can tell you that nichicon caps were used. Mostly Muse and ES.

I just bought my caps from Mouser along with the low noise NE5534AN op amps. They're actually out of the NE's so I got the SA5534ANG's, which are the same except they can handle more extreme temps.

I stuck mainly with Nichicon Muse FG's and KZ's for the polarized and the ES'es for the bipolar caps. For the three main power supply caps, I chose Panasonic FCs for their long life and higher temp capabilities. I also picked up some 8610 lamps to replace the ones in there since I don't want to have to open this back up for a while.

I'm using all radial caps even for the axial caps except for the 10uf 160V one on the Auto-on board, for which I chose a Sprague axial. Once you have this thing open, a cap list is easy to put together. Some choose to change values, but I'm going with all original values. I suppose I could have gone up in value with the 3 power supply caps, but I kept all original values but chose a high temp, long-life cap (panasonic FC).

Here's my Mouser BOM for those interested:

MOUSER C29 BOM.PNG

On most of these caps, I bought a couple extra to have on hand, so you should have some extras when completed.

Back
Top Bottom