MCS 3233 receiver weak left channel

jkcoondog3

Just recently picked up an MCS 3233 which needed some cleanup. After a cleaning, deoxit and dust removal all seemed to work fine except right channel is not quite as strong as the left. Is there any adjustment or something i can do to balance out the channels? If I turn the balance control knob 5/8 to 3/4 to the right it is about equal, but straight up the left channel is much stronger.

Have you checked the alignment (DC offset, idle current)?
You could measure the volume pot to see if the tracking is off.

Have you checked the alignment (DC offset, idle current)?
You could measure the volume pot to see if the tracking is off.

I have tried the DC offset measurments many times on several receiver and I also read the sticky on How to, but it doesn't work for me. I have 2 DVM and I get a 0 on both of them. I set the DVM to DC Volts with Milli Volt readings and all it does when I connect the black and red to the speaker terminals is quickly reads a specific value (say .07) and then goes back to 0 almost immediately. I was getting a slight hum in the left channel so I replaced the filter caps and now the hum is gone, but balance issue is still there. Is there something I am doing wrong in properly using the Volt meter? How do you measure the volume pot?

Greetings;

Since there are no MCS manuals and few detailed pics it's very hard to recommend an answer but you can compare voltages on each side. Might start at the preamp stage off the power supply circuit or if you can identify the rails etc. comparing one side to the other. Do this without anything hooked up and volume down as you're looking for idle currents

Cleaning selector switches, and you may clean the balance pot and volume pots as that has corrected some problems with balance on many models.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=458105&d=1380222196

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=546406

You can see the bias pots but we'd need a closer pic unless someone can identify which side of the resistors to attach your probes. As for other test points it depends on your skill.

Hopefully I'm not dredging up TOO old of a thread. I have a MCS 3222 with a similar problem. I am planning to replace a few of the bad caps, give it a de-ox treatment etc. I'd also like to adjust the idle current and DC offset but seeing as there is only one pair of pots on the amp board I am guessing offset is non-adjustable, does that sound correct?

I've attached a pic of the amp board. Can anyone help determine the best point to test the idle current from? I'm happy to take as many pics as are needed to clarify things. It would be great to start assembling a baseline of info for these little units seeing as the service manuals are impossible to find. I know they aren't very popular or valuable but they are pretty neat for what they are.

img_0888.jpg

Stumbled on this by accident but figured it was worth piping up as I've had several 3233 units with current one extensively modded. From the pics above, the 3233 is similar to the 3235 AND 3222 at minimum. All 3 share the same amp board layout.

Anyways, the DC offset is NOT adjustable for these. The 2 pots on the amp board are for bias. Don't touch them less you want to destroy the outputs. The heat sink is extremely weak and outputs will get HOT just idling if set incorrectly. Ideally, you shouldn't feel much if any heat holding hand couple inches above amp board. If you know how to bias boards, google the outputs and search. The ones in the 3233 were used in other popular amps and are used in DIY amps as well, meaning there's enough documentation there to ballpark the bias SAFELY. Don't go crazy with the value. I have a post in another forum that covers the biasing IIRC but you'll have to find that on your own. It should have 3233 in the header but was probably for another issue like offset and biasing came up, can't remember. Either way, it's easy to bias these.

If your DC offset is incorrect by a high margin, I suggest finding the resistor(s) failing and replace them with 1% resistors, or better yet, replace all the resistors on the amp board (can leave the white log resistors alone) in one go with high-end 1% as the factory ones aren't the greatest and you'll probably find some were replaced already as they won't match others on the board, even in a left/right scenario which could theoretically cause sound variances between left/right channels. Pull a leg to a resistor to break circuit, then check resistance. If the ring colors are near impossible to decipher, find a matching resistor elsewhere in the unit and compare resistance. They used 10% or 15% tolerance in most cases, and like to drift to one end of the tolerance limit or the other when WORKING ok.

If you lift the amp board off the metal stands, be mindful NOT to loose or forget to reinstall the rubber or paper washers that isolate the PCB from the metal.

The 2 other pots on the tuner board are for the tuning strength needle and the FM Stereo detection LED sensitivity i.e. how wide of an area on the tuning needle sweep FM Stereo LED will come on. Can be tweaked slightly to increase FM Stereo detection. Needle strength can be artificially altered. If you live 5 miles from a powerful FM radio station and the needle only goes to 3 or 4 strength with great antennae, can increase to 5 so it reflects more accurately.

My 3233 is about as close to "new" as you'll get as all film and electrolytic caps were upgraded in the amp, tone, and psu boards (left tuner alone as it works good with strong FM detection and left both phono alone as I don't use them) and DC Offset was a tad higher on I think the right channel but still below the "oh no" level and left was low. It's normal to be a little off considering DC Offset is "fixed".

Also, make SURE the 3 amp channel fuses are identical. These amps are actually VERY sensitive to mismatched fuses as I believe the audio actually transmits through them. I know in my youth I'd pop the 3 amp often pushing 4 12's with loudness and bass maxed listening to early 90's rap. I'd use foil, 2 amp, 4 amp, and eventually 5 amp fuses. There was a difference in audio quality between foil and 5 amp. Also, rule out the tuner, aux, etc. 1st before assuming it's something else. Bad digital converters, bad RCA cables, failing CD players, issues with the FM/AM/AUX/Tape etc. buttons can cause channel to channel issues too.

EDIT: To increase higher freq. accuracy, i.e. more accurate highs that correctly reflect the source audio w/o sounding garbled or muddy, replace the 2 green polyester caps C517 and C518 with a high quality variant. I used Vishay-Roderstein Metalized Polypropylene there and it made a huge difference with the highs. It also tightened up the bass a bit to sound less sloppy/boomy. This was AFTER all electrolytic caps were replaced that it improvement was still found replacing these 2 film caps.

Last edited:
there are service manuals available for this at sams photofact in folders MHF-145 and MHF-190 I believe. i know as I'll likely be buying it to fix mine shortly.

Greetings;

Since there are no MCS manuals and few detailed pics it's very hard to recommend an answer but you can compare voltages on each side. Might start at the preamp stage off the power supply circuit or if you can identify the rails etc. comparing one side to the other. Do this without anything hooked up and volume down as you're looking for idle currents

As simple as this suggestion is, make sure someone didn't remove the balance knob and reinstall it off-center! If it's installed incorrectly you could get the balance issue which started this old thread.

Has anyone purchased the service manual for this from Sams?

I'm planning to start work on a 3323, and have looked there, but I'm concerned that my chassis number is 68332320 and the only ones close on Sams are 683323300.

I mean, it looks like the Sams one should work, but I'd hate to throw money at that without even asking someone.

Has anyone purchased the service manual for this from Sams?

I'm planning to start work on a 3323, and have looked there, but I'm concerned that my chassis number is 68332320 and the only ones close on Sams are 683323300.

I mean, it looks like the Sams one should work, but I'd hate to throw money at that without even asking someone.
Here is a scan of the schematic and board layout. It's not very good quality, but might help you. I think it is from an original SAMS manual.

Attachments

• MCS 3223 boards.pdf
    794.6 KB · Views: 31
  • MCS 3223 schematic.pdf
    340.4 KB · Views: 32
Wow, I just realized this thread is alive... I am just putzing around looking for info on lessening the the thump on power on, but more so shortening the fade out on power off. So many of the threads I find useful are ancient. Its refreshing to find others currently chatting about similar projects!

I will wholeheartedly second the welcome to @nerdyarchboy !!

Wow, I just realized this thread is alive... I am just putzing around looking for info on lessening the the thump on power on, but more so shortening the fade out on power off. So many of the threads I find useful are ancient. Its refreshing to find others currently chatting about similar projects!

I will wholeheartedly second the welcome to @nerdyarchboy !!

And thank you!

I've put the MCS down for a bit due to lack of a service manual, until my education in circuitry is a little more intuitive.

But it stares at me, eye level, begging for me to pick it up again. And it's time will come. And these threads will help a lot.

And thank you!

I've put the MCS down for a bit due to lack of a service manual, until my education in circuitry is a little more intuitive.

But it stares at me, eye level, begging for me to pick it up again. And it's time will come. And these threads will help a lot.
Ha! I hear ya, buddy! My pile of projects have been giving me the hairy eyeball for quite some time. I just wrapped up my MCS 3223 and am starting to decide whats next. lots of choices! good luck to ya, bud!

Do yo have an introduction thread or member's system thread?

Back
Top Bottom