New Glass Question

topcat84

Hi Guys!!
I was wondering how difficult it is to install new glass onto McIntosh amps or pre-amps? I'm not the handiest guy around and was curious as to whether it was just a matter of taking the old off and installing the new one or is it a lot more involved than I think? Any help is appreciated.

It's not like replacing a car window with a seal if that's what you mean. The early units are much easier than the later ones. For example, something like a Mc2505 or MX110 is easier than a MHT100.

Just take your time, the only way you will know how to do it is by doing it. Amps are pretty easy.

My only advice is to have a large, clean work area, some nice towels to put the pieces on, and to go slow. Pulling it off isn't the challenge if it's already broken, but be careful not to cut yourself. Wrap the old glass up in plastic bags and throw it out. You may have to clean the top/bottom rails, the diffuser etc with a plastic brush in the sink to get rid of all the small particles.

You'd really have to man handle the framed glass to break it, but make sure the end caps are lined up and the frame pieces are not bent. Do not try to straighten bent frame pieces with the glass in the frame - it will chip at the very least.

Thanks for the reply, CountD!! I don't think I'm capable of all that, so at least I know my limits. LOL!! Another question for the experts out there. What do you guys clean your glass with? Thanks again!!

It can be a relatively easy job but it also can be unnerving. I did my C28 and it was pretty straightforward after pulling off the knobs. But my MC2105 proved a challenge. All you need is just the slightest amount of twist to the chassis to make reinstallation a scary situation. I have lots of challenging "techie" hobbies and I was shaking in my boots trying to get the new face plate onto my amp. As for cleaning I use windex but others might have a better suggestion.

Count is exactly right. Clean bench, nice soft towels, take your time and be patient. It'll go back exactly the way it came out. It's pretty easy actually and quite rewarding when complete. Go for it!

Thanks for the reply, CountD!! I don't think I'm capable of all that, so at least I know my limits. LOL!! Another question for the experts out there. What do you guys clean your glass with? Thanks again!!

You can do it. I have faith. I clean the glass with a damp cloth - with water.

Just DO NOT EVER spray cleaner of any kind on the faceplates. It can run down the glass into the lower part of the frame and then be wicked up into the painted surface on the rear, causing the paint to instantly detach from the glass.

Just DO NOT EVER spray cleaner of any kind on the faceplates. It can run down the glass into the lower part of the frame and then be wicked up into the painted surface on the rear, causing the paint to instantly detach from the glass.

What he said.:thmbsp:

Spray it on the cloth.

I can get the glass off and back on my MA6100 in less than 10 minutes. I think most older preamps are fashioned similarly.

Damacman is absolutely correct. Fluid sprayed on the glass will immediately run down, finding its way through the knob openings and into the bottom rail where it will ooze to the ink on the other side, melting & delaminating the ink.

Personally, I have never found a glass product that does not leave streak marks in the glass anyway. Just when you think you've got it perfect, the sunlight hits it in such a way and there they are.

I use an automotive polish that does not build up. Makes the glass look new - even in the most critical light.

See, there you go topcat. Get it done.

HAAAAA!! I wish I were as confident as some of you guys!! Unfortunately.....I'm not!! LOL!! I was wondering though.....would there be a video online anywhere that might take me through the process? Thanks again for the replies. Cheers!!

Topcat, what exactly is/are the units in question?

As Count said, it is not very difficult on most earlier McIntosh.

One tip - it is not necessary to remove the frame rails to remove the faceplate. I found this out the hard way.

Just remove the screws that are necessary to allow the glass/frame assembly to be taken out. If the frame looks like it's coming apart from the glass, those are not the screws you should be taking out.

I use Zeiss lens cleaners. They come in little envelopes like hand cleaners at a seafood restaurant. I also use them on my $2000 camera lenses. Dry without streaking.

Hi 62Caddy,
The units are a C28 & Mc2105. Thanks again.

With no prior experience I removed the glass from an MC 2505 and it was very simple and straightforward. MC 2105 should be exactly the same.

I wouldn't think the C28 is any problem either...

C28 it's more than just pulling knobs as I've read , two screws on each side closest to the front have to come out for the faceplate to come off. These are not the two small screws that hold the end caps on, they are larger and have a head that a socket will fit on.

You can do it. I replaced a broken glass panel on an MR80 tuner. The glass and frame were a little nerve-wracking for a first timer and I had to take it off and put it back on a few times to get it all lined up right but it came out well. Getting the front panel tuner touch switches working right again was a PITA but they now work perfectly.

Glass transplant surgery on a preamp like the C28 should be a lot simpler than the MR80 since all of the switches and controls pass through holes in the glass panel.

Last edited:
For cleaning glass, I always use Eagle One 20/20. You can find at Auto Zone, Advance, or WalMart. No ammonia. I use it on my TT dustcovers. Great product. :music:

Back
Top Bottom