Pioneer SX-9000

Vintagegeek

Recently picked one up in excellent cosmetic shape. The original owner brought it back from Nam. When I hooked it up at first and listened I could hear some noise and all the knobs were stiff. So I disassembled the receiver and cleaned the pots and the inside of the unit. Once back together the noise was more prevalent. From what I read it could be the reverb unit which I would never use. Honestly it sounds really good. Driving a set of Andrew Jones SF 52's and the setup sounds really good. Looking for direction here on where to start on this receiver to eliminate the noise.

You may want to post in the Pioneer forum for some technical help.I had to look on the web for a pic of this unit and it sure does look nice.I would like to have one.

Recently picked one up in excellent cosmetic shape. The original owner brought it back from Nam. When I hooked it up at first and listened I could hear some noise and all the knobs were stiff. So I disassembled the receiver and cleaned the pots and the inside of the unit. Once back together the noise was more prevalent. From what I read it could be the reverb unit which I would never use. Honestly it sounds really good. Driving a set of Andrew Jones SF 52's and the setup sounds really good. Looking for direction here on where to start on this receiver to eliminate the noise.

I love mine and as you stated it's a nice sounding receiver:yes::music: I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the coupling switch on the rear panel that needed some TLC with lots of Deoxit and movement ( up & down)..You can trace the lead from the volume pot to the switch:thmbsp: The Pioneer forum is your friend with this beast:thmbsp: Here it is from my Pioneer collection with the fold down front panel & brochure:thmbsp: And wood case, Heavy receiver too boot

Attachments

• sx 9000.jpg
    sx 9000.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 36
  • sx 9000 two.jpg
    sx 9000 two.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 32
  • sx 9000 three.jpg
    sx 9000 three.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
kydog,

I re deoxited the knobs again and applied deoxit gold. I did run the amp seperate from the preamp and did notice the switch was ifffy. Will clean it good tomorrow and verify that it is not the cause of my problem! I had a similar problem with a Sansui AU-717 amp and once I cleaned the switch it was as good as gold:)

Back
Top Bottom