Yamaha MX-M70 Monaural Power Amps

Analog King

Any thoughts on these?
How would a couple of these hooked up to a Yammy C70 preamp and a pair of NS200MA's sound do you think?
Hmmmmm.......

Probably not as good as a M-70 mated with your C-70. The MX-M70's I believe is a 70 watt mono amp. The 70watts is really under power for the NS-200MA speakers. Where the M-70 is 200wpc would give you the headroom to really make those speakers sound great.

Last edited:
I will be using a B3 to power those NS200s.
What do you think of that set up?
I just noticed that Hi Fi Do had a couple of those MX-M70s for $150 so was just wondering about them...

Are you running a single B-3 ? V-FET's probably sound pretty nice.

The MX-M70 is not to be confused with older Yamaha M series amps. It was a fairly inexpensive monobloc brought out around 1990 to power center channel speakers for people who were lacking one channel of amplification, not to be sold as pairs for a high end stereo set up.

I remember them from my retail days as fairly lightweight and sure enough, just found some specs on Audio Heritage: 3.9 kgs. Not exactly a Levinson No. 20!

Good info,Raynald. That is sort of what I was guessing about those amps.
Avionic,only runnung 1 B-3.
Wouldn't mind another one of course!
HIFIDO just sold one for about $600.

Picked up a pair at a garage sale in great shape. Running them now on original Advents directly from a CD player (they have input volume controls). Respectable response including bass. Yes they are lightweight but on a budget, with a simple preamp., better than you might have expected.

Back
Top Bottom