Yamaha NS-1000M Lpad bypass?

belgianbrain

I asked this question over in the speaker forum a few days ago, but didn't really get any opinions. Maybe this is a better place.

As I continue to try and squeeze out every possible performance upgrade for my system, I'm now contemplating this project.

When I got the NS-1000s, I rebuilt the crossovers with Mundorf Supreme caps.

Everyone knows the NS-1000s are a tad bass light, so I actually prefer the -3dB point on the Lpads for the mids and tweets, but whenever I try it I can't escape the feeling that the sound quality dives - which it shouldn't.

This makes me think there is something to be gained by removing the Lpads altogether.

So, I'm contemplating measuring the series and parallel resistance values of the mid and high LPads and replacing them with high quality resistors (wire wound?) and just running much shorter, high quality internal wiring straight to the drivers from the crossover and soldering those resistors right on the speaker terminals.

Comments? Any experience on whether there is anything to be gained in this effort?

Comments? Any experience on whether there is anything to be gained in this effort?

My NS-1KM's are still stock and to my ears they sound fantastic. I'll agree that as compared to the Klipsch I once had they don't have that heavy bottom end but the bottom end is certainly there when it needs to be and to my ears the NS-1KM's are a far more true to the source speaker which is why I love them and the Klipsch are no longer here. I'm thinking that if after changing out the caps you're still not happy with these you're at the point of diminishing returns with regard to the other changes you're considering making but by all means please feel free to prove me wrong.

Maybe these aren't the speakers for you and it's time to look at replacing them with something else ... or you could get a sub woofer and try dialing that in to get what you're looking for in the bottom octave; of course that will come with its own set of problems and distractions. :D

Oh, it's not a matter of not being happy with the speakers. I love them.

But, I'm a tinkerer who is always tinkering. I've reworked the power supply section of my tube based DAC a few times, and I keep changing the output capacitors, finally settling on Duelunds. I'm always in search of the extra 5%. :D

I have a sub already sitting between the NS-1000s, but I keep the volume and cutoff quite low because the bass from the Yamahas is definitely of higher quality. I just use the sub to give me the floor vibrating effect in rock music and live concerts that you don't get from the NS-1000s.

Back
Top Bottom