Normal+inverted=balanced?

CDragoslav

Did any of you guys who own power amp with balanced input and preamp with inverted outputs, tried to connect them balanced?
I tried this with my C-70 and very pleased with results.
Normal rca goes to + input, inverted to -, and I took common ground from normal rca and connected it to gnd input on power amp.
:smoke:

Balanced connections are exactly this; two signals out of phase with a common ground. I actually have a C70 playing that just I finished recapping a while ago. When I first saw inverted and normal outputs; the thought was it was for optional balanced connections. The idea behind balanced being any interference that enters your cable will "cancel out" when it gets to the amp.

The other reason the C70 apparently has this is to compensate for power amps; something crazy about common-power supply amplifiers having better bass if you physically invert a speaker and use an inverted output...supposed to reduce the sudden draw when the bass hits both channels.

I don't totally understand it, it makes some sense. I run monoblocks; so I don't worry about it. I can't remember if it was the service manual or user manual that mentioned it. The guy that owns the C70 brought it to my attention; but I didn't worry about it much.

I can't remember if it was the service manual or user manual that mentioned it.
Its in the owners manual. I use a C-85 for bridging two Yamaha B-6's using the normal and inverted pre outs.

So basically, inverted outputs can be used in 3 ways:
1) Balanced connection for reduced noise
2) Bass improvement with one channel inverted and loudspeakers wires inverted
3) Bridging an stereo amplifier.
Pretty darn useful thing!

So basically, inverted outputs can be used in 3 ways:
1) Balanced connection for reduced noise
2) Bass improvement with one channel inverted and loudspeakers wires inverted
3) Bridging an stereo amplifier.
Pretty darn useful thing!

Yep

Balanced connections are exactly this; two signals out of phase with a common ground. I actually have a C70 playing that just I finished recapping a while ago. When I first saw inverted and normal outputs; the thought was it was for optional balanced connections. The idea behind balanced being any interference that enters your cable will "cancel out" when it gets to the amp.

This is a common misconception about balanced connections. There is no requirement for the 2 signals to be out of phase, and no requirement for there to even be signal on both wires. The common-mode rejection comes from equal impedance to ground. In fact, the term "balanced" was originally shorthand for "impedance balanced"

Back
Top Bottom