Best amp for NS-1000M speakers?

ddilillo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I recently acquired a pair of NS-1000M speakers. Looking for recommendations for amps to get the best sound from these vintage speakers. I'm open to receivers, integrateds, or separates.

I have mine hooked up to a Yamaha CA-810. Although I am sure it isn't the optimum amp for the 1000's, the combo sounds really good. The 810 can be had fairly inexpensively. You could jump up to a CA-1010 for your budget and it would probably do quite well. The C-4/M-4 combo also comes highly recommended and could probably be found within your budget.

:music:

Lots of good vintage in that range...if new, then one of the Yamaha a-s500/700 models sound great...even a refurb comes with warranty. Vintage Yamaha ca series integrateds sound great too. I do have a Yamaha bias:yes:However I do find Yamaha speakers paired with Yamaha amps sound best for me:music:
They are very truthful, neutral, and natural, as advertised.

I have had nice results with a Yamaha B-2 and a MC240 on my NS100Ms. They are currently hooked to the B-2.

My affordable and all around excellent choice is Yamaha M4 (dittoing try1256). The B2 is a step above the M4 but hard to find and even harder to repair. With the wrong amp the NS1000s tend to be bass shy, with the right amp they are bass adequate and even bass good. The M4 gets better with a better preamp, I've often upgraded my system and the M4 sounds even better, like I bought a new amp..

The M4 also has a surge circuit when you turn it on which is extra protection for the NS1000s, the Adcoms, the B&Ks and many other amps don't. Hearing that chick 3 secs after turning the amp turns on is music to my ears. Highly recommended, every Yamaha household should have one!

I also like the Kenwood L07MII it outshines the M4 but does not embarrass it. The L07MII can also be hard to find and repair. The Kenwood L07CII preamp is as good or better then many of the Yamaha C (50,70, 80) preamps. The L07s show up from time to time at a decent price. I've tried a Kenwood M2A amp which at first I liked but after a while I found it too bright (the M4 is better), it really is good in the bass department if that is an issue.

I have also had good results Nakamichi PA 5AII. Some people love the Nakas and some find them too soft. But in a bright room (hardwood floors, lots of windows, etc) this amp is great, different from the M4 but not necessarily better.

Which brings me to what is often overlooked; placement and room treatment. A few inches closer to the ground or wall can improve bass response and sound quality as much as a different amp can. Likewise with room acoustics.

Your mileage might vary... Different strokes for different folks.
Michael

Get and amplifier with some balls.The more headroom the better.

They are currently hooked to the B-2.

Yes indeed! These were made for each other and sound superb together. :thmbsp: :tresbon: :yes:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 143
I use mine with an M2.

No complaints.

That being said, I've also used them with a CA-2010 and an A-700. The comparison between those and the M2 is that it's a tough fight, with the M2 coming in first, the A700 second, and the CA2010 last. But it's close. Very close.

Get and amplifier with some balls.The more headroom the better.
+1

High power amps with excellent bass control really round out the low end of the NS-1000's.

They also sound great driven by Yamaha VFET's (B-1 or B-2).

Yamha PC2002M or Yaqin MC100B valve amp. Yaqin works well together with NS1000Ms.

Yamaha PC-2002 for 2 X flanking subwoofers

Back
Top Bottom