Looking to purchase first Yamaha Amp, need opinions

Bookshelf

I've never owned a Yamaha Amp before and want to buy something representative of the "natural sound". Would a CA1010 or CA2010 be a good buy, or would there be a lot to gain by going to a M4, M2, B2, M80, or something else? I know the CA's have a class A switch, which of the power amps are class A? Which are considered more reliable than others? Thanks

I had an M-65 which was Class A for the first 10 or 20 watts (can't quite remember) and I really liked it. It was a really great amp, and very well-made.

Check out there pro line as well as I love my P2050 w a c45 or may check out there integrated amps I have a A-500 but if u want class a check out the A-1000

Yamaha A-500, T-1, K-960, GE-5, DT-60, C-45, P2050, T-500
Denon DCD-1290, DRA-350
Technics SL-1200M3D
Nak DR-3
Rotel RD-965BX
Apple iPod Classic 160gig w dock
Klipsch Image 1 headphones
Kef C40
EV FR12-2

Of all the vintage Yamaha amps I've owned, the B-2 is the most enjoyable in my system. A healthy one is very hard to beat...

I've never owned a Yamaha Amp before and want to buy something representative of the "natural sound". Would a CA1010 or CA2010 be a good buy, or would there be a lot to gain by going to a M4, M2, B2, M80, or something else? I know the CA's have a class A switch, which of the power amps are class A? Which are considered more reliable than others? Thanks

Every response you received has merit. I have a CA-810 which is a great amp. The 1010 and 2010 are wonderful pieces.

Of course it all depends on your budget...

But assuming you want to spend a conservative amount (say less than $300), I'd say look for an A-700 or an A-1000.

That's probably the best bargain in the whole line-up. With tone control bypass on the Digital Audio Input and Class-A mode, the sound is exceptional.

Back
Top Bottom