My chance to Upgrade?

Reverend Bow

My chance to Upgrade: Dual 1246?

I was over in San Diego Saturday and found a very nice place that calibrated my current turntable (Optimus LAB-2250) platter speed for $10. True be known, I was a tad embarrassed to carry my Radio Shack Linear Tracking turntable into the place, but everyone was very polite and never treated me like I didn't belong there.

While chatting with the Tech, he asked me about my current set up and told me that when I am interested in upgrading, they have will probably have something to fit my budget.

I mentioned I will be looking for a turntable and he showed me a Thorens TD 145 that was on consignment, but a bit North on my price range ($600), then also remembers about a Dual 1246 that has come in on consignment that morning. They had not had a chance to look it over yet, but pulled it out of its original box and it was in very good condition, but needed a Cartridge. The Price is $225 and he mentioned a Cart would be around $75, but I can't remember the brand of Cart...

So I got clearance to get it from "the Boss" as long as I find a home for my LAB-2250.

Would you all say $225 for a Clean Dual 1246 is a good buy?

Thanks

Last edited:
This thread belongs in "Dollars and Sense" by the way. Looking at eBay completed sales, looks like that is too far off. I would offer 200 and see what they say. I would not be in it at 300 with cart. Actually, offer 175 and buy a cart somewhere else.

This thread belongs in "Dollars and Sense" by the way. Looking at eBay completed sales, looks like that is too far off. I would offer 200 and see what they say. I would not be in it at 300 with cart. Actually, offer 175 and buy a cart somewhere else.

Wouldn't an inspection and perhaps minor service from a qualified tech count for a premium in price over a private sale? And add in the ability to pick it up and not risk shipping and its associated costs? Especially if its in excellent cosmetic condition, and apparently has at least original packaging.

Regards
Mister Pig

Wouldn't an inspection and perhaps minor service from a qualified tech count for a premium in price over a private sale? And add in the ability to pick it up and not risk shipping and its associated costs? Especially if its in excellent cosmetic condition, and apparently has at least original packaging.

Regards
Mister Pig

Maybe.......Not to me, but the OP might want to go that route ;)

Sorry for posting in the wrong area, and thanks for the replies. I figured you gentlemen would have a better idea of Value/cost, as I am new to this audio world.

But Mr. Pig, I was thinking along the same lines about having it looked at by a qualified service tech. Yes, it is in the original packaging.

Huh, figured this thread would get a lot more traffic than there has been. A lot of very knowledgeable people on Dual turntables on AK, figured they would have chimed in.

So a friendly little bump to get it back to the top.

Regards
Mister Pig

Thanks for the Bump...

If I could edit the original title, I would mention the Dual.

I have a feeling that due to the fact I live in the middle of No Where, and HiFi isn't a thing here, I will most likely be picking up the Dual 1246 this weekend (its a 2.5 hour drive to San Diego from Yuma, AZ).

As you mentioned, local pickup, purchased from a HiFi dealer in San Diego who is going to look it over for me and did not look down or talk down on me when I brought in my lowly Radio Shack TT into their impressive/WAY above my budget Store.

I'm willing to pay for proper Customer Service... and they will get more of my business in the future if this deal goes well.

I have a feeling that due to the fact I live in the middle of No Where, and HiFi isn't a thing here....

Sometimes you get a surprise out in the boondocks, and happen to casually meet a guy who has a TNT with a Graham Phantom in his basement listening room. Audio guys are scattered far and wide.

Thanks Gents,

I keep looking local, but haven't found much.

And yes mkane, I'm diving in as soon as they open, their phone shall ring... ;)

Well, I took the plunge and reserved the Dual 1246.
The gentleman is going to set the TT up with Grado Green Cartridge and I will pick it up Saturday..

$200 for the TT, $90 for the Cart installed and aligned...About $310 out the door.

I realize it may be a bit high on the price, but like I mentioned, it is my first "Better" TT and it is 180 miles to any type of audio repair place, so I'd rather take a chance with someone who will most likely stand behind something they are selling.

No surprising, they will not take my LAB2250 in trade... :scratch2:

Thanks for the inputs and I am looking forward to the weekend even more now!

Make sure it's packed well for the ride home. especially if the platters suspended.

I'm sure they'll help you set it up for transport and explain how to unpack it properly. Also, I wouldn't feel bad about that price at all. I agree with Mr. Pig that having it properly seen to at the shop before purchase, plus a decent cart and set-up, is certainly worth paying for. I hope you enjoy your new Dual. It's a nice table.

Back
Top Bottom