metallica 'master of puppets' vinyl, no good.

getright99

least likely to succeed
i was all excited and got 'master of puppets' on sale even. it says "half speed mastered at mobile fidelity from the original analog master tapes". how can you go wrong right? well it sounds like absolute crap. i thought it was my system (always a possibility) so i put on 'aja' by steely dan just to make sure. i figured i couldn't go wrong with that album. it still sounds great. for one, the metallica album wouldn't fit on my turntable so i had to do some carpentry with the center hole which is never a good idea, i'm suprised i didn't break it in half. so i get it playing and it sounds like there's a 20 lb. weight on top of it. all muddied down and no clear mids or highs. absolute junk. so what's the deal? it isn't cheap vinyl i don't believe, if i hold it with both hands and give it a shake it doesn't bend at all. also if it's a mofi record wouldn't it say that other than the sticker? they're kind of a big deal right? it doesn't say 'mofi' anywhere on the back or anywhere else. definitely wondering why a seemingly great record sounds this bad.
mike

Attachments

• 183745.jpg
    183745.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 211
Unfortunately Mike this isn't the first serious complaint I've read about that specific title. I feel bad for those of you who bought it because, if I were looking for that album, seeing all the "half-speed mastered" and "original analog tapes" stuff would have been an easy sell, and I'd be really ticked off when it sounded like junk. I don't know for a fact what happened here, but there's a current thread in this forum about quality control issues with the Capitol "From the Vault" reissues, and you might be experiencing something along those lines.

well that sucks. I bought the first 4 and have them unopened. I guess I can sell them since they're technically new. I was waiting until I got a new turntable to break them out.

well that sucks. I bought the first 4 and have them unopened. I guess I can sell them since they're technically new. I was waiting until I got a new turntable to break them out.

Keep in mind the possibility that not all of them are bad.

Keep in mind the possibility that not all of them are bad.

that's certainly possible. and welcome to ak. i'd hold onto them, can't get much better than new metallica for breaking in a new tt.

i guess i'm more annoyed with the advertising, the album was $12.99 so i'm not crying over that. i see 'mobile fidelity' and assume it's a premium pressing. the keywords definitely had me reaching into my wallet on this one.

Last edited:
Mine rocks

But then I have the 45 rpm double LP version.
Maybe that's why.
Very detailed, crystal clear and loud...real loud :yes:

But then I have the 45 rpm double LP version.
Maybe that's why.
Very detailed, crystal clear and loud...real loud :yes:

i saw that there too, i want to say double "...justice..." and 'kill em' all' as well. maybe i should have gone with those. $29.99 though. guess it's worth it for a good sound, plus 'master of puppets' is one of my all time favorites.

i saw that there too, i want to say double "...justice..." and 'kill em' all' as well. maybe i should have gone with those. $29.99 though. guess it's worth it for a good sound, plus 'master of puppets' is one of my all time favorites.

Some think/say the 45 rpm are a bit bright but Metallica was always bright sounding.
I have blown a few tweeters with Metallica and nearly my ears too lol.
Turn it up and break the knob off.

I also have the ride the lightning 45 rpm its LOUD too.

Been thinking on getting the 45 rpm black album but I have the import Simply Vinyl pressing and it sounds amazing so I cant decide.

I have all the their originals.

I've got the 'Ride The Lightning' 45 RPM, 33 1/3 'Master' and it sounds okay. I now may have a reason for getting the 45 RPM version, for transferring to PC.

I believe that this is the same re-issue that i saw at Dimple Records the other day. I was planning on picking it up, but it was a bit pricey for me at the moment. A whopping $30!

I may hold off and see if i can find an original issue, unopened for $50-$70 or so.

Thanks for the review, i highly appreciate it.

I did also see reissues of Kill 'em All, and Justice to. I wonder if they are the same quality.

i was all excited and got 'master of puppets' on sale even. it says "half speed mastered at mobile fidelity from the original analog master tapes". how can you go wrong right? well it sounds like absolute crap. i thought it was my system (always a possibility) so i put on 'aja' by steely dan just to make sure. i figured i couldn't go wrong with that album. it still sounds great. for one, the metallica album wouldn't fit on my turntable so i had to do some carpentry with the center hole which is never a good idea, i'm suprised i didn't break it in half. so i get it playing and it sounds like there's a 20 lb. weight on top of it. all muddied down and no clear mids or highs. absolute junk. so what's the deal? it isn't cheap vinyl i don't believe, if i hold it with both hands and give it a shake it doesn't bend at all. also if it's a mofi record wouldn't it say that other than the sticker? they're kind of a big deal right? it doesn't say 'mofi' anywhere on the back or anywhere else. definitely wondering why a seemingly great record sounds this bad.
mike

The 45 RPM versions are much better I believe. My 'Master' only has a couple trouble spots, but just the fact it has them has me debating getting the 45 RPM versions of everything up to the black album.

you can't play metallica on a turntable there's way too much noise, i'v found that most rock lp's are like this but thats just my ears.

I have Master of Puppets 180g 45 and it sounds great. I did get ..and justice for all on the regular 33 1/3 and it sounds good too. May be that luck plays some here :)

Must be your ears. My brother, who has much better hearing than me, loves my vinyl copies of Metallica, even my less-than-perfect copy of 'Master'.

Back
Top Bottom