Run out groove message

classicform

Would it be possible to record a message in a run out groove? You know, like..."records over" "flip me" "end of side"?

If so has it been done?

Another recording with this kind of thing is The Minutemen "Double Nickles on the Dime". In the run out groove, they recorded the sound of an old truck engine running.

It's been done heaps of times, although most automatic turntables won't play them. Sgt Pepper, The Who Sell Out, Pink Floyd's Atom Heart Mother, Dead Kennedys' Plastic Surgery Disasters, the list goes on.

On one of my Tony Hancock records he talks right into the run-out groove:
"When I count three, take the needle off. Otherwise it'll hit that metal bit that sticks up through the hole in the middle of the record. We never had that problem with cylinders. Ready? 1, 2, 3! There's no more!"

I picked up a record that had something that I've never seen before. On one side it has two run out grooves. After the first one there's a guy talking about a stereo test, and then the test, and then a regular run out groove.
Weird, useless, but kinda cool.

On the last side of the Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part Two there is a "turntable scratching" sound in the loop of the run out groove.

Heaven 17 - Penthouse and Pavement

It has the added novelty value that the text being repeated in the runout groove is: 'For a Very Long Time'

Hearing 'For a Very Long Time' for ever is strange.

Then there's the old James Gang "Yer Album" with "Turn me over" on side 1 runout, "Play me again" on side 2.

runout message

How about if they concentrate on getting the other grooves correct. Run out message isn't necessary.

Paul

"Welcome to side 6. Follow in your book and repeat after me as we learn our next three words in Turkish. Towel...bath...border...May I see your passport please." Well, it wasn't in the lead out groove, just the end grooves.

"Welcome to side 6. Follow in your book and repeat after me as we learn our next three words in Turkish. Towel...bath...border...May I see your passport please." Well, it wasn't in the lead out groove, just the end grooves.

I think we're all Bozos on this bus...

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Tom Petty did a bit on a CD where he states "please wait while the people with records or tapes turn them over for side 2"

Not any lead-out grove messages but very near the end:
Pink Floyd - DSoTM: "There's no dark side of the moon really. As a matter of fact, it's all dark"
Jeff Lynne - Armchair Theatre: "It's still going you know" and some chimes rattling

Back
Top Bottom