marantz mr255

punprankster

there's a store that's selling a marantz mr255 for $100 close to me. does anyone have one? how does it fare compared to a 22xx series marantz?
i have a pair of b&w 703s that i'd like to use it with. will they sound good together?

From what I'm reading those speakers like power, The Marantz is 50 WPC. Might not be a good match, but maybe the store has a return policy.

i see. so what could you recommend to mate them with? if i stay with the vintage marantz, what would be a good one to get yet wouldn't wipe out my bank account? i haven't really tried other vintage receivers yet, but my b&w's are kinda bright and from what i've heard, marantz are warm and is the reason why i'm interested in them.

The stuff I read was from guys that had pretty advanced setups. Since the 703s are pretty efficient, they should play fairly well with lower power, but bass may be a bit uncontrolled. It's hard to say just from numbers how any amp will sound with any speakers.
What amplification are you using now?

i'm using my old pioneer elite ar-35 as a phono amplifier for my thorens and hooked it up to a rotel rmb-1067. the pioneer by itself is actually louder than the rotel (though i find the bass a bit thin) but the sound gets a bit shrill at higher volumes so i hooked it up to the rotel. don't know if that set up makes sense but i like the sound of the table when i use the rotel better.

I took the marantz mr255 home and wow, just wow. It just sounded so different compared to my previous setups. If this is how good it sounds, i can just imagine how a 22xx series marantz sounds like. I think my rotel and my pioneer is going to the storage now.

Back
Top Bottom