Yamaha MX-55

"ItsTooLoud"

Metal Mind
I picked one of these up at a Goodwill for $30 a few days ago. The MX-55 impressed me. I'm not a huge fan of 'Natural Sound', but I understand it. So far none of my good recordings have sounded goofy or wrong, if you know what I mean. Not bright, not boomy, not flat. Just about right.

I was also impressed after popping the top off the MX-55. Big transformer, big main caps, not too crowded.

Since the amp turned 20yrs old last year, I'm assuming that the caps could use freshening up. Any suggestions? I did a search, but no dice. The amp works very well, and is a good match, power-wise, with the B&O S30's that it's on. I can't help but think that, due to it's age, a tweak here and there wouldn't do wonders for it. I think that the 2/4 channel switch on the back could use cleaning or replacement, but when it acts up a quick flip back and forth puts things right again.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
So far none of my good recordings have sounded goofy or wrong, if you know what I mean. Not bright, not boomy, not flat. Just about right.

Now that would just about be what natural sound is all about :)

Try and clean the switch as a beginning, then look up the SM for adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom