Yamaha A-960II vs CA-1010/CA-2010 - and A-960II power supply questions

201bk

Hi, I've been wondering lately how my A-960II would sound compared to CA-1010 or CA-2010? Have anyone compared those amps? Which has better sound? I really like my A-960II it's really good amp but it lacks VU meters which I like a lot - and for me it's the only minus of this amp becasue I like to look at them when I listen to music. Listening Level Monitor is not precise enough for beginners I think but you know I've been owning it for such a I long time that I know how much power is driven into speakers - I don't even have to look at LLM - the problem would start when I would like to go higher than 100W because I never had speakers which would be powerful enough, so I don't have much experience there.

And I have this power supply question. Power supply in my amp has lately been very loud, it's sound is really noticeable... And I can hear this power supply sound even in my speakers when I don't have any sound source plugged in to the amp. So I think I might have a problem which Yamaha mentioned here:

http://www.whathifi.com/News/Yamaha-issues-safety-recall-on-amps-30-years-on/
http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/yamaha-issues-safety-warning-for-1980s-gear/

I don't know if Yamaha in my country will help me with this problem or I will have to fix it myself but before I will write to Yamaha, I would like to ask you if you have any suggestions and I don't know any specific descriptions of this problem? Because lately I've heard many things like this is power supply only problem, like this is capacitors which are near the power supply problem or even both - I might got misinformed in here.

But if this is really problem with power supply and it must be replaced soon, then I think I might have another problem... Financial problem. I think regenerating power supply would be an option but I don't know if this will fix the problem, what do you think?

Last edited:
From what I've heard, if I had to choose a vintage Yamaha integrated, it would be the A-1000.

I actually have the CA-2010 and the A-700. The A-700 sounds better. But it is a close race.

Back
Top Bottom