Received newly fabricated CR-2020 power & relay PCB's today

10sguru

Several weeks ago I decided to just jump in with both hands and attempt to repair the power and relay boards from my latest purchase, a third CR-2020. I figured with the excellent expertise available here on AK it should be a piece of cake;). Using Echo Wars’ excellent tools guide I have purchased a few items. Weller WESD51 Soldering Station, Hakko 808 desoldering gun kit, helping hands Octopus Clamp Kit, digital multimeter with mini-grabber leads, 170 side cutter, 6” digital caliper and clamping magnifier workbench lamp.

So today I received the newly fabricated boards, see attached picture. I don’t have a lot of extra time to devote to this project so progress will probably take several weeks if not a couple of months. I will begin the process of transferring components along with the pertinent service bulletins for these boards just as soon as the service manual which I ordered from Mike arrives. In the meantime I have a couple of quick questions. The fabrication really looks nice except that I need to trim them as indicated by the red lines shown in the picture in order to maintain the proper mounting and alignment. Also I will need to “notch” the power board for the two mounting brackets. Any suggestions of how to best accomplish these two tasks would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• New Boards.JPG
    New Boards.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 67
I need to trim them as indicated by the red lines shown in the picture in order to maintain the proper mounting and alignment. Also I will need to “notch” the power board for the two mounting brackets. Any suggestions of how to best accomplish these two tasks
I know how I would do it. Bandsaw with a fence.:smoke: BTW-Who fab'd the boards? They look real good.

Avionic, a company in NJ and very reasonable @ $34.98 + $1.39 USPS first class shipping per board. As a newbie not sure if the Forum rules allow me to give the name? Let me know.

Last edited:
Avionic, a company in NJ and very reasonable @ $34.98 + $1.39 USPS first class shipping per board. As a newbie not sure if the Forum rules allow me to give the name? Let me know.

Very nice and reasonable price. Do post the contact info for the company that fab'd those boards. As long as you are not promoting a company you are associated with, you are fine sharing the info with the group. :thmbsp:

WHen I did the boards for a 1020 I am lucky enough to have a drill press. I used a 3/32" drill and drilled a line of holes as close to each other as I could get. Then I took out the stuff between the holes with a small chisel.

A number 62 drill will do the majority of the holes, but note that you also need slots for the big filter cap terminals.

Now most drill presses have 1/2" Jacobs chocks and they will not accept a # 62 drill, it just falls out. I used a small hand chuck for the drill and then chucked it in the bigger drill press chuck. After you have drilled everything, compare it to the existing board to ensure that you really have drilled all the holes, it is not easy drilling it after you have started to mount components (ask me how I know).

Back
Top Bottom