New connectors for Yamaha NS-1000M

KG-AudioLove

I've been given some old Yamaha NS-1000M speakers but the sound quality is not great. My friend says the speakers are fine but I need new Speakon connectors because they are damaged. I found them after digging around at Newark. I have a credit with them to spend.

But there's NL4MP-UC and an NL4MP-ST. Both from Neutrik. Both are $5.25. What's the difference? I'm pretty new at this stuff. The pics look just like what I have on the existing cabling.

My other buddy say Amphenols are just as good and cheaper.

Any wisdom to share? Thanks.

I've been given some old Yamaha NS-1000M speakers but the sound quality is not great

What are you using for source material and amplification.

We are working with a Philips 212 turntable and an M-4 amp. I figured out that the STs have a set-screw connection and the UCs have tabs that require soldering. Going with the STs to keep it simple. Will see how it goes. Definitely a newbie.

Many years ago, but memory tells me that I used 14ga. It was just slightly larger in diameter than the stock wire, which was a fractional mm size (0.4mm?). Once upon a time silver coated, TFE insulated multi-strand wire was inexpensive on eBay and other places. Cannot tell you that I heard a big difference after rewiring. Any improvement/change was subtle.

The one thing that I did not do and would do today if I had another pair is recap the Xover. Probably not try to take out the glued-in old caps and just take them out of the circuit and piggy-back the news on them. Not only are the old caps at least 35yr old, new caps are considerably better quality. To my ears the NS-1000Ms are a bit shy on bass (and I'm not a big bass-o-phile). Always wondered if recapping the Xover would help with that.

The NS-1000 is not bass shy.

But, mine did have the crossovers redone with Mundorf supreme and I do typically notice an improvement in bass when updating the crossovers on Yamaha speakers.

I also power them with an M2 or Bryston 3BSST power amp.

Give them a good source and good power and there is no shyness in the bass.

If they don't sound so good as you say, something is not right.

Last edited:

But, mine did have the crossovers redone with Mundorf supreme and I do typically notice an improvement in bass when updating the crossovers on Yamaha speakers......

Mundorf supreme......good to know. I will give those a try. I have my speakers on the bench. I was planning on changing just the wires and the back connectors.
Thanks

You are correct. The NS-1000 is not bass shy. However, the NS-1000M is bass say and there was nothing wrong with either B-2 or MX-2000 they were being driven with or any of the associated gear (CX-1000, CX-2, VK-30, etc.). You've likely never had the NS-1000M side-by-side with the NS-1000 to compare, so you are going on your limited experience. When you have, you'll agree. The NS-1000M is bass shy.

You are correct. The NS-1000 is not bass shy. However, the NS-1000M is bass say and there was nothing wrong with either B-2 or MX-2000 they were being driven with or any of the associated gear (CX-1000, CX-2, VK-30, etc.). You've likely never had the NS-1000M side-by-side with the NS-1000 to compare, so you are going on your limited experience. When you have, you'll agree. The NS-1000M is bass shy.

Is this because of the difference in cabinet sizes between the 1000 and 1000M? I thought the drivers and crossovers were identical (except the 1000M had the grill over the woofer).

Is this because of the difference in cabinet sizes between the 1000 and 1000M? I thought the drivers and crossovers were identical (except the 1000M had the grill over the woofer).

Could be a combination of both. I would not know since I never heard the NS-1000. The grill may have something to do with it I would assume. I have my grill s off to fix some minor dents and before I put them back I will give it a try to see if there is a difference.

what do you think is the reason for the difference?

It is not a huge difference, but it is noticeable. And, as you mention, is likely due to the larger volume of the NS-1000.

The NS-1000M is bass shy.

No not at all.

I've never heard them side by side but some others here who have, claimed they heard no difference. Yamaha specs them identically. If there was an acoustic difference they would have bragged it up in their literature like they do most everything else. Since they're an acoustic suspension type speaker the designer worked hard to remove the cabinet resonance which IMHO they did an excellent job at with the NS-1K(M)'s. I think there's some psycho acoustics happening for those that hear this difference. :yes: :D

I understood that both cabinets were identical in volume, and the extra size of the 1000 comes from the smart solid wood casing round the outside of the standard cabinet. Effectively they are the same speaker but one is in a heavier (and externally larger) cabinet.

Last edited:
I understood that both cabinets were identical in volume, and the extra size of the 1000 comes from the smart solid wood casing round the outside of the standard cabinet. Effectively they are the same speaker but one is in a heavier (and externally larger) cabinet.

Exactly right, which is why they would sound identical under the same conditions.

You may not feel that your NS-1000(M/X)s are bass-shy, but if you haven't tried pairing them with a good,compatible servo sub-woofer or two, you're missing out on about 40 percent of the sound quality that is possible with that series. I'm not exaggerating. If you haven't tried it, don't even attempt to respond until after you've tried it. Then your response will be agreement and a "Thank You!" Trust me - I've experienced this with three models in the series, and every time the difference was surprisingly significant, not at all subtle. Augmenting the bass opens up not just the low end, but the mids and highs more than you'd expect. It's the only way to truly appreciate the potential of those Beryllium domes.

Hi Arkay,
which servo sub-woofer models have you heard? I know Yamaha made at least one model that was sold in Japan - YST-SW1000L. I red your prior post on this sub. Were you able to get your hands on one..or a pair? I also know that Velodyne makes some models with servos, but those are more home-theater oriented products.

Back
Top Bottom