KR-7200 shutting off after 1-2 hours of play

natrab

So I just got a pristine KR-7200 that sounds incredible. I'm pretty new to these vintage receivers (this is my second after getting a KR-8050 for my main system). My goal is to use this as my bedroom set up with a pair of Energy RC-10s.

After I bought the amp, I hooked it up in my dad's sound room while visiting and we listened to some great music for about 2-3 hours and it all worked fine. Went out to dinner and came back and after another hour or two of listening the sound cut out. Lights stayed on on the receiver, but no sound out of the speakers or the headphone output. The receiver itself felt warm, but not scorching. Never had the volume past 11 o clock (volume 4 on the dial), but that was pretty loud to my ears, so I'm guessing the amp was being pushed decently.

Once set up at home, I tried running it for about an hour at a much lower volume (around 1 or 2) and it did the same thing after about an hour.

Is this worth taking to a tech to look it over? The amp has never been recapped or serviced beyond the previous owner keeping it clean and well kept for the past 15 years. Anything simple I can check for myself? I do plan on learning to work on these things eventually (looking for a junker to practice on) and I'm relatively handy at technical stuff.

Thanks for any info. These Kenwood receivers blow my mind every time I listen to them (especially the tuner) and they are such a deal compared to some of the more expensive vintage brands.

Last edited:
Opened it up and took some pics. My untrained eye doesn't see anything amiss.

2014-06-16%2005.03.43.jpg

2014-06-16%2005.04.41.jpg

2014-06-16%2005.04.06.jpg

2014-06-16%2005.04.24.jpg

Could be high DC offset or a faulty part in the relay driver circuit.

Can you connect a meter to the speaker terminals and measure the voltage while it's in the playing mode. Do not have speakers attached.

If the DC is high, there are transistors that will need replacing on the amp board.

Rob

After a couple transistors in the relay circuit and caps on the protection/driver board, it has been running fine.

Rob

Back
Top Bottom