How would you stack in custom stand

Cantilope

What you see here is my future McIntosh Stack Stand. Your seeing the front and back and the pieces you see to the left will sit under the rubber feet and connect the 2 pieces. I also plan to mount panlocs, so the units will sit both on the feet and the panlocs. Should be very secure.

What I would like is some expert opinions on how to stack these before I weld it up. I have an MR78, C32 and a MC2205. I also have a Crown xls1000 for the folded Horn sub (with one possible addition) which I have already decided will be on the bottom. It is a bit wider so I have taken that into consideration.

If you take weight into priority obviously the MC2205 on the bottom, but heat wise it would be on the top. However, it would be very convenient to have the c32 on the top.

How should I stack these? FWIW, its permanent so I need to get it right the first time.

Also my speakers are very efficient, I have yet to have any of this even get warm yet, but I have not had them through a summer yet either. I am open to suggestions or criticism.

Attachments

• IMG_4671.jpg
    IMG_4671.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 74
Personally I would do the M78 on top, C32 and MC2205 on the bottom. I've always tried to put the gear I'll manually fiddle with the most on the top, the gear I touch less on the bottom.

Put the heavier gear on the bottom. It looks as if it will be an open rack? If so, the air flow over the amp should be sufficient to keep it cool.

I personaly wouldn't make locations permanent, with panlock and tight fitting shelving. If you do so it starts to lock you into that component.

Also have you done a lot of welding? That many weld joints are going to tweak that frame all over the place.

Here is something I put together a few years ago and someone popped one togeter on this site as well after seeing mine.

IMG_0080_zps9b0b2297.jpg

IMG_0081_zpsff9c9e7f.jpg

IMG_0087_zps6c5fe08e.jpg

IMG_0094_zpsdb244a73.jpg

IMG_0096_zpsdea12489.jpg

IMG_1319_zpsf8d2fb63.jpg

I personally wouldn't make locations permanent, with panlock and tight fitting shelving. If you do so it starts to lock you into that component.

Also have you done a lot of welding? That many weld joints are going to tweak that frame all over the place.

Here is something I put together a few years ago and someone popped one together on this site as well after seeing mine.
/Stereo%20Systems/IMG_1319_zpsf8d2fb63.jpg[/IMG]

That is a nice setup! I like the punched hole look.

Everything I make you can drive a car over. Seriously, its like my motto... With that said, and the other posts I think either the MR78 on top or the C32... The steel is cut and it is all from scrap so I may as well move forward. I am thinking a nice coat of satin black once its stitched up.

That is a nice setup! I like the punched hole look.

Everything I make you can drive a car over. Seriously, its like my motto... With that said, and the other posts I think either the MR78 on top or the C32... The steel is cut and it is all from scrap so I may as well move forward. I am thinking a nice coat of satin black once its stitched up.

If your going to use a rattle can Dupi Color Low Gloss Black engine enamel you can get at auto stores. It has a really good look and will hide the ruff metal and it drys fast and is durable.

I would install the units for function first with recommended spacing by the factory found in your manuals. Then if heat became an issue I would add low speed fans as necessary to keep the desired ambient temperature in the rack. We used to take Bud boxes that fit entirely across the top of the heat sinks on 2205, 2200, 2255, 2250, 7270,7300 etc and mount a whisper fan with finger guard to pull fresh air up through the heat sinks when the amps were used for discos. For some installations we installed air filters across the bottom of the units to prevent dust and dirt from collecting. Some of the 2500, 2300 and 2600s we installed got so filthy we had to install them in sealed racks with filters and forced air blowers. A couple of Amateur theatres and big meeting halls, the entire room of electronics shared space with computer electronics and had its own refrigerated cooling and filters for the room.

I'm a racker myself . . . I just love the look of a bunch of gear rack mounted.

4-2-7 . . . I guess you don't give that Sansui stack much love as we NEVER hear you opine about out. I love it!

D you know when you leave Sansui it generally is for Mac only. I really don't talk about everything I own it get to the point what's the point. Things in bedrooms are not the big of a deal to me.

My garage system is Sansui! I don't even have that set up in the new house yet...

kev has a nice lookin rack set up as well ....

OP - did you know that Mid Atlantic makes rack mount adapters for various glass faced Mc gear? This allows you to set up the rack for standard 19" width and bolt everything in place. The end result is very appealing to the eye. You can also purchase rack shelves if you choose.

Loaded.jpg

There, loaded up. Not fully, fully welded, but that'll be a Saturday job. I think a piece of glass for a top might be nice. Made a few mods, ditched the feet. If I ever get my subwoofer #2 built I'll grab another Crown that will fill the bottom.

I am going to mount the raspberri Pi underneath, behind the crown. Ive got a can of satin black same as the sub you can see. I'll get out the hvlp gun.

Total cost $0. ...and you could drive a truck over it.

Back
Top Bottom