MCD301 vs. MVP891

kingstoneage

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of replacing my MCD301 with a MVP891!

I'm not sure if the stereo sound of the 891 is as good as my current 301......

I still have a D100 DAC to connect!

Certainly it would be great to have the opportunity to play DVDs and Blurays with the MVP891 but is the CD/Sacd sound as good as in my MCD301?

Try using the MCD301 as a transport to the D100 DAC and do a comparison with/without the DAC.

For SACD I'd also be interested if people think there are any differences between a MCD301 and a MVP891. Now that I've got my SACD's converted to DSD ISO's, I'm kind of giving up on the idea of having anything but a PC transport and a decent DAC.

Try using the MCD301 as a transport to the D100 DAC and do a comparison with/without the DAC.

For SACD I'd also be interested if people think there are any differences between a MCD301 and a MVP891. Now that I've got my SACD's converted to DSD ISO's, I'm kind of giving up on the idea of having anything but a PC transport and a decent DAC.

Of course i have connected my MCD301 with my D100 via Coax!

Sounding very good, maybe a bit better than the MCD301 alone.

The MVP-891 that I own has been a great disappointment, not in sound, but in terms of usability features. There's no CD (or SACD) text, only YouTube for video, no "gapless" playback of sound files which are on a USB fob, no FLAC support for data discs or USB fobs etc etc. The sound's about as good as my Oppo 93 when connected to my MX-119 system via the analogue outs. It also takes about 45 seconds to a minute to "warm up" before you can play a CD. Not worth anywhere near the price that you'd have to pay for it. Seems that McIntosh doesn't have the intelligence to hire competent software engineers to make this very overpriced piece of equipment "state-of-the-art".

The MVP-891 that I own has been a great disappointment, not in sound, but in terms of usability features. There's no CD (or SACD) text, only YouTube for video, no "gapless" playback of sound files which are on a USB fob, no FLAC support for data discs or USB fobs etc etc. The sound's about as good as my Oppo 93 when connected to my MX-119 system via the analogue outs. It also takes about 45 seconds to a minute to "warm up" before you can play a CD. Not worth anywhere near the price that you'd have to pay for it. Seems that McIntosh doesn't have the intelligence to hire competent software engineers to make this very overpriced piece of equipment "state-of-the-art".

Thanks a lot for your truthful words!

I've never heard the audio from an MVP-891, but I do own an 871 and an OPPO 93. There's no comparison between the two machines. The music coming from the 871 is much better in every way than the OPPO. That being said, the OPPO is still a hell of a universal for $500.00. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom