D100 od D150

kitjunkie

D100 or D150

So, I'm ready to pull the trigger on a DAC and was going to purchase the D100. I'm now wondering if I'm making a mistake by not getting the D150. I don't see DSD in my future, but who knows.

What is general thinking on this? 100 or 150?

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited:
If you have DSD files then get the D150. Though the D100 can still play DSD files, just at 192 not 382 with the appropriate software...

I have the D100 and absolutely love it. But, if I was buying now I'd save up the extra cash and get the D150 as I do have a lot of DSD files ripped from my SACD's.

Reading different post about both I'm pretty sure the D100 is $2,500.00 and the D150 is $3,000.00

I'd get the D150, not much difference in price in the grand scheme of things, and you are future proofing yourself.....

Yeah, $500 is a decent chunk of change in normal money, but in McIntosh money it's nothing; a year or two down the road you'd be glad you did. I might even look into trading up myself. I don't have a ton of DSD files but I do have some, and while they sure sound great converted to 176/32 in the D100..........you know. :)

I'd still like some clarification on if the D150 sounds better/different/etc with non-DSD material or if it's essentially a 1.1 upgrade that added DSD.

When I originally called on the D150 they quoted me 2500 as the price. Might want to give a call and verify. D100's will show up on ebay for 2k a lot and usually dont last a day.

When I originally called on the D150 they quoted me 2500 as the price. Might want to give a call and verify. D100's will show up on ebay for 2k a lot and usually dont last a day.

That's not a bad idea. Since the D100 is the only Mc I've ever bought new from the dealer, I might even be offered a trade-in.

Would be cool if you Mc could upgrade your D100 to play DSD but maybe there is major circuitry changes. Kind of stinks to take a loss on a trade in and then rebuy a new one. Guess that's the reality in the digital realm though.

I have a D150. 2580 €.
I have a Jeff Rowland concerto integrated amplifier.
Jeff Rowland concerto can act as power amp stage.
Is better premplifier Jeff Rowland Concerto or McIntosh D150?
What do you think?

Reading different post about both I'm pretty sure the D100 is $2,500.00 and the D150 is $3,000.00

I'd get the D150, not much difference in price in the grand scheme of things, and you are future proofing yourself.....

That's the MSRP price.

Now that the D150 is out the D100 is showing up on the used market for around $1700-$2000.

So the savings can be great over the D150 if one does not care about DSD.

Mgilo,

You can use the D150 as a DAC/ Headphone amp with your current preamp. Just use the fixed outputs of the D150 into a high level input on your preamp.
As to which sounds best that is for you to decide. Try it both ways.

Thanks,
Ron-C

That's the MSRP price.

Now that the D150 is out the D100 is showing up on the used market for around $1700-$2000.

So the savings can be great over the D150 if one does not care about DSD.

I've heard of a few for less; but, even at $1700 they are disappearing quickly from eBay and AudioGon at the moment.

I do want to pick one up; but, the C2300 is the higher priority! :banana:

My D100 just went up on the 'Gon -- it's a terrific all-in-one but got a nice offer for a 2300 and will have to slum it for a while DAC-wise. If I weren't planning on DSD I don't think I'd bother upgrading. On non-DSD I couldn't tell the difference. And I tried.

best,

Back
Top Bottom