Help!! MC352 blowing slo-blo fuses

marems79

Good evening everyone, tonight I went to turn on my system and my MC352 did not come on with the rest of my gear. No remote LED no nothing, so I looked at my surge protector and found no faults were lit up on it. So I replaced the slo-blo fuse and went to turn it on and bam! blew that one, replaced it again, the remote LED lit up, and turned it on again and blew my last fuse I had. What is causing this!?!? The only thing I did was replace the stock power cable with a high end aftermarket power cable that a local hifi store let me try out. And that was on Saturday night, it functioned then, I haven't turned it on since then till tonight . I swaped back power cables and still nothing. Ohmed out the new loaner power cable and found that the ground leads had no resistance at all. So that tells me that the power cable is possibly faulty. Could the new power cable have done something to my amp??? Ug this sucks

Best to have the amp checked. This will not be the first time a defective power cable made an amp haywire. Your stock power cable is UL approved and certified. If you sub an after-market power cable it should be UL approved or walk away.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Thanks for your response Ron, do you think it could be the after market power cable that fried something in the amp? I'm going to bring it back to the place I got it from and have them send in to the cable manufacturer for testing.

If the two ends of the power cable are not wired to the same pins then you could have trouble. Each of the three conductors should measure '0' ohms and be connected the same on each end.
The worst would be a hot lead to the ground pin.

Thanks,
Ron-C

It powered up when I first installed the after market power cable and I ran my amp like I normaly do with music around the RMS power on the meters, could the cable have failed when I asked the amp to draw more current if it had a short in it? Thanks again Ron!

I've never replaced a power cord on any MAC's I've owned, because I figured if the cord was good enough for McIntosh, it's more than good enough for me. In fact, the extra money spent on a replacement power cord would be better served installing a dedicated 20 amp line going to your system.

Time to have your MC352 looked at then the issue and cause will be much clearer.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom