Questions about strapping Mac amps

chef free

I have a pair of MC2200 amps. I have strapped them into mono. I understand that this doubles the power output but what else changes?

I know that the 8 ohm taps are now 4 ohms.

What happens to the damping factor (normally 16 or greater)? Is it doubled?

My amp was bench tested to 265 watts in stereo and 300 in mono before the power guard kicked in. Does this mean that the strapped amp is putting out 2x265 watts (530 watts) or, since it is in mono, is it putting out 2x300 watts (600 watts)?

Are there any changes in rated distortion or over-all sound quality?

Anything else I need to know about running these amps strapped into mono?

300 watts is actually 600. The amps will run a little hotter and may need external cooling fans. I used 2200 in mono to push fill speakers and a couple of church ceiling systems. I didn't notice any real sound changes. They were never used below 50 HZ however as they were pushing 70.7 transformers on 12" Altec ceiling speakers. I used 2200's while my Crowns were at the factory being repaire. But here again they were in the stereo mode. So I'm no help there. I did use one to drive 4 Altec 421-8 in 816 Boxes in Mono. 2 ohms. And the amp ran just on the edge where Power Guard came on maybe 10% of the time. The amp was still going strong after 6 years when I came to replace some 291 HF diaphragms.

Nothing special. All specs are printed right on top the amps. Like we've discussed before, strapped MC2200s may be the cheapest way to 400wpc in (rated) Mc power.

I used to sell all the MC2200s I came across to a proprietor or roller rinks. He swore by them. Apparently the boring faceplates didnt invite folks messing with them. He used them to power LaScalas with CV bass bins powered by crowns. I bet those rinks just jammed!

Back
Top Bottom