41 years of abuse

TheX

And now I own it. It's a 1973 Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Goldtop, or it used to be. The original onwer stripped the top, and it has had the headstock shattered. The frets are TOAST and the fingerboard is worn out.

deluxe-1.jpg

deluxe-2.jpg

deluxe-3.jpg

deluxe-4.jpg

deluxe-5.jpg

deluxe-6.jpg

Thank goodness you're not making it a faux relic geetar. Good for you for bringing it back to life!

It has a lot of damage, but it'll be fine when it's done. I ordered the headstock overlay from Crox guitars, and all of the non-original parts have replacements on the way.

Here's a white worn SG that I got in pieces and had a blast building.

sg-1.jpg

sg-2.jpg

Looks like it's in good hands after the looking at the outcome of the SG. I've had a couple of those Deluxe models over the years with the mini humbuckers. Didn't know they came in the goldtop finish. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

It should turn out something like the '71 model in the attached pic. (nb: I swapper out Gibson's mini HBs for a set of circa '55 P90s. Still have the mini HBs but prefer the sound of the P90 pups)

Attachments

• '71_LPD.jpg
    '71_LPD.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 78
I hate relic guitars with a passion. I've spent years learning how to build/repair/refinish them. I love a well played guitar, one that has earned its scars.

That's going to be a stunning guitar when done, a few years ago my cousin
found a 71 Gibson black beauty behind a certain store in a dumpster he
grabbed took it home and I finally restored it ( just the electronics and pickups)
there great guitars.

Tube

I restore a LOT of guitars, but this one is different. It was in BAD shape. I don't think it will ever get sold, I'm keeping it.

It should turn out something like the '71 model in the attached pic. (nb: I swapper out Gibson's mini HBs for a set of circa '55 P90s. Still have the mini HBs but prefer the sound of the P90 pups)

Those sound great. One of the best set ups for playing in small clubs. :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom