EPI TE 320 speakers

redpackman

Just picked up a pair today at a thrift store. Heavy. Look nice though both the woof and the midrange need to be re-foamed, which I can handle. I love my EPI 100's and I know lightning doesn't strike twice (often) but any impressions of these?

Attachments

• _7160086.jpg
    _7160086.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 50
  • _7160085.jpg
    _7160085.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Had those for a short while - fairly good sounding speakers. Bass seems a bit laid back compared to speakers with ported box. Give them at least a solid 50w amp and they will be at their best.

I've got the EPI Magnus 1100's and used them as my main channels for a few months. My experience with EPI has been that they are fairly good mid-range speakers. A little hollow sounding, but decent highs. They are no comparison to my Polks, but that's comparing apples to oranges. How much did they set you back?

It's one of the 'Post Burhoe, post inverted tweeter' EPI's. Since the most noted thing about the early EPI's was the inverted tweeter, it would be interesting to replace the dome tweeter with the older tweeter (probably from the 'A' series). The EPI A300 appears to use the same drivers as the TE320 except for the tweeter in a different cabinet according to the Human Speaker website.

While I own several EPI's and Genesis models with the inverted tweeter, I have none from the later period so can't comment on their sound quality. I would be curious if any AK'er has made that switch to the older tweeter since I assume (hope) the woofer was an upgrade. Was there was an improvement in sound?

The EPI Time Energy series has a good following as well. But yes Inverted domes are the ones that made their name.
Cool.
Srinath.

Back
Top Bottom