Ken Calvert's last week

slow_jazz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
in case anyone didn't know this is Ken Calvert's last week on the radio.

retiring Friday...

thanks for all the good memories ken and enjoy your retirement.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

I have to wonder if classic rock play lists will now include more than say three Rolling Stones, two or three Bob Segar, two Foghat, one Bad Company songs! Not to be too much of a buzz kill but (oops! I'm about to fail miserably at that), since WCSX hasn't changed, WABX, W4, and CJOM are long gone, and WDET fired Judy Adams and Martin Bandyke from one of the last (of three) truly commercial free, free-form morning FM radio all music shows in the free world... I'm ready to throw all my tuners out in the garbage anyway.

Does anyone remember commercial free, free-form FM?! I'd pay money for that.

Happy Listening!:beatnik:

how about 89.1 WEMU?

Wish they had more power. Listen daily while at work. But start loosing it in the car by the time I get to Brighton. Have to listen to it streaming at home. Great if you love Jazz, but if you want an eclectic mix CBC2 is about the only choice these days. CJAM is great, but again, have to stream it. Unless you are downtown or in Winsor.

Wow! I could quote every post in this thread! After growing up in Detroit, I can truly say that there are several songs that I don't ever need to hear again, but it DOES point to the consolidation of media ownership. I'll not say more about that (politics).

I do remember listening to KC for several years and finding him to seem pretty genuine as an on-air personality. Seeing as he's still with us, I'll salute him with a "ROIP"-Rock On In Peace.

PS: If you didn't know, he's mentioned in the book "Get Shorty" by Elmore Leonard...

I actually feel sorry for you guys that knew what tired old songs KC was overplaying for the last 20 years.

I cried for a bit after they ****ed WDET up :tears: BUT I had not listened to WRIF for many, many, many years!

What were you thinking?

I've started listening to WRCJ 90.9 most of the time. I even send them a few bucks each month to help them keep it going. It is a great station for Classical and Jazz.

I like CBC Radio 2 a lot also. I recently discovered WEMU, but have not listened much so far.

There are still a few good (even great?) ones out there, only on public radio it seems.

You should have heard them in the late sixties and seventies. Also WABX.

Well, 1980 I was 13 and just getting into classic rock after the KISS invasion of Michigan

WLAV in Grand Rapids used to have a Sunday show "Rare but well Done" where they would discuss and play an album side of stuff you'd never hear on the radio

Remember Dave Dixon on WABX, the "Big X". Ran into Dave years and years ago at the Lums restaurant that used to be on 8 Mile just east of Gratiot. Weren't their studios in the David Stott building in downtown Deetroit??

Greg

KC is from the days when Detroit DJ's were actually from Detroit. I haven't listed to his show much lately, but I have a lot of respect for him over the years. Happy Retirement KC...

Remember Dave Dixon on WABX, the "Big X". Ran into Dave years and years ago at the Lums restaurant that used to be on 8 Mile just east of Gratiot.

We sat behind him at a concert once. He was a total A hole to anyone that tried to approach him. I was thinking 'this is the same guy that asks me to donate to WDET?'

Was he rude to you at Lums? Seems to have had built a poor reputation and even has an anti-fan base!

http://www.pomonabeech.com/studio/dixon/ihddclub.htm

dixon.jpg

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Friends and I used to run into Dave quite often at the now defunct Nippon Kai sushi joint... all I could suggest at that time is, don't let small children or pets near that man while he was eating, for they would of been consumed. Yeah, he was possibly an angry dispositioned, vulgar fellow but, I'd still prefer him spinning vinyl on the air (even after his death) and chatting about music, musicians, and the industry than 99.99% of the useless crap on air today. Those were different times...

I've got to find something to replace the radio in my car with (and have no use for an ash tray either).

Happy (remembrances of) Listening! :beatnik:

KC is from the days when Detroit DJ's were actually from Detroit. I haven't listed to his show much lately, but I have a lot of respect for him over the years. Happy Retirement KC...

Yep he goes back !! He did the announcing at The Palace for most of the Pistons Bad Boy's era as well.
One of my favorites and one of the last great classic rock jocks.
Best to ya Ken !! . :thmbsp:

I actually feel sorry for you guys that knew what tired old songs KC was overplaying for the last 20 years.

I cried for a bit after they ****ed WDET up :tears: BUT I had not listened to WRIF for many, many, many years!

What were you thinking?

I was thinking...and I'm right,that KC was on WCSX when he retired...he was on this past Saturday morning AAMOF.
A Detroit great.....I'll miss him !

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom