leak sandwich 600s

trev57

Hi,I have picked up a pair of 60s leak speakers 16ohm,both the bass speakers sound good but the tweeters have had it,my dilemma is crossover frequency is 900hz and finding tweeters to go this low is a major problem and 16 ohm is impossible so options could be two tweeters to give 16 ohms and play around with crossover or put a midrange in ,I'm not to worried about the changes as like the look of the cabinets and having a mid fitted wouldn't change much as grills cover everything,is there anyone out there who has done any mods like this before.

googling leak 600 i see 3 ways, mids can cross that low, not usually dome or cone tweeters, where do the mids crossover at?

Welcome to AudioKarma.

I expect a number of small 'wide range' drivers would be good replacement candidates; they can easily go that low or lower and have good high frequency performance, as well as potentially having similar dimensions. Its likely the crossover high pass would need to be adjusted to account for impedance and sensitivity changes.

Are you certain the original tweeters are beyond repair? Sometimes they can be fixed.

The tweeters are beyond repair,I've tried a few people with regard to re coning but been told not advise able ,as a test I connected up one unit with a 8ohm mylar tweeter and an 8ohm 10 watt resistor but got a lot of distortion when resistor warmed up then tried the 8ohm tweeter with a full range tiny TV speaker,it didn't sound to bad but the little TV speaker could only handle 2watts so couldn't turn it up to much,I'like the sound of the big old woofer and want to create an overall sound I am happy with.

Are you sure the tweeters are crossed over way down at 900 hz? Aren't those 3 way?

No they are two way ,leak didn't bring out the three way until the early seventies,I don't have a lot of luck with tweeters ,I bought the leaks for 20€ I liked the vintage look of the cabs ,then I bought a pair of early seventies 3a apogees for 20€ also with duff tweeters but these cross over at around 6000hz and it wasn't difficult to replace the tweeters plus the crossover was just one cap and an inductor.

Have solved leak problem with two 8ohm tweeters which cover different frequencys left xover as was the speakers sound terrific ,far better for rock than my mates 400€ jamo's

If anyone finds a pair of 16 ohm with the tweeters blown my mod works a treat and they now sound as good as my mates £300 missions,I added one 8ohm tweeter as a mid then a 3.3uf cap to a small mylar tweeter sounds sweet

Back
Top Bottom