Kenwood KR-5030 dead

queenbee4758

Just got this amp at a thrift store for $5.00 in good shape however, he told me it wouldn't power up & wanted it gone so I figured for 5 bucks why not. Anyway, took it home and I plugged it in & it has nothing, no click, lights, totally dead. I slid it out of the cabinet & there are no signs of burn out or smell. If anyone can give me some insight as to what can be wrong it would be appreciated. I looked at the fuses and they don't look blown either.

I did find a service manual for it on here but it seems to be missing some pages as I had to figure out how to get to open ( which I did from underneath) and a few parts of info are cut off so if someone has a more complete one to share, that would be cool too.

Also, my boyfriend was helping me figure out the no power thinking it might be the power supply as it's a little swollen and on-screwed the screws & I guess they have nuts on them and they dropped at a point inside. Is there an easy way to get those back on the screws or is it ok to leave them roll around? I'd rather have it not be that way if at all possible.
OK, I'm done now :)

I believe they have the power switch attached to the speaker switch if I'm not mistaken. I've seen those things go bad a million times.

Yeah, it is...kind of stupid if you ask me. I have several tuner/amps including an Onkyo TX-7000 monster that has a separate power switch as most of mine do except this one. Think I'll try to hunt one down & just replace it. Probably the problem anyway. It's in great condition with the exception of a few scrapes on the top, looks like something got dragged across it but amazing shape none the less. Can't wait to fire it up!

You should see two wires soldered right on top of the "grey box", on the mechanical rear of the speaker switch. That's the power switch. Jump between them with some aligator clips or some such and see if you get lights. Good luck "rock chic"! And dont get shocked.

Last edited:
90% of the time it is the Power/Speaker selector switch. Here's a fix that's worked for me everytime I've tried it on this series of Kenwood receivers. First, get a can of CRC contact cleaner, in the red can, not the green can. Ace Hardware carries it, it's about seven bucks. Flush every nook and cranny you find on the switch. Turn the switch back and forth 40-50 times. Let it dry 10 minutes or so, then repeat the process. Next, squirt some Deoxit Gold in there, not too much. There are tiny holes on the side and on the back of the switch. That's where you want to concentrate the Gold. Turn the switch back and forth 40-50 times once again. Wait a few minutes, then turn it on. The receiver should come to life.

OMG, it's been such a long time I've been on here (been crazy around here) & I wanted to say thank you for the insight to the cleaning of the switch. It's been sitting in my spare room covered. I don't want just anybody touching it that has no clue to vintage audio & there's noooo place around here. All I need to get is the Deoxit & have at it. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again :)

I was in my 'audio storage room' the other day and I plugged this in just for the hell of it and it did power on for about 2 seconds and then nothing. I bought some Deoxit the other day and just maybe the power switch is making slight contact.

Put away the oxidation remover if you are working on the power switch. Search the archives here for "Alps switch" and you might find some helpful info, like this:

http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=533801

I was in my 'audio storage room' the other day and I plugged this in just for the hell of it and it did power on for about 2 seconds and then nothing. I bought some Deoxit the other day and just maybe the power switch is making slight contact.

Hi,

I have this same receiver and had the same issue. Read the thread that Watthour linked above and you will be golden. Its really not hard to do, just be patient in removing and replacing the switch. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom