Rescued a Thorens TD-124... now what?

Yeah, I just am not going to have time to work on it, looking forward to getting it done right!

Well, I've sent it off to Jim. FYI Jim charges $10 for a new belt as part of the restoration... I just dropped $46 on the Q audio one. Oh well, lesson learned....

Now to get working on the stacked plinth... something along the lines of this one someone posted... I like Cocobolo and rosewood veneer, we'll see what I come up with...

plinth1_zpsbjdnnbh3.jpg
[/URL]

Here is the one I bought for my TD 124. It is from the builder located in Moldova, and is a 4" stack. It is a nice plinth.

attachment.php

attachment.php

But we have a couple of good plinth builder on AK that are taking on some jobs. Larry Spence is one, and so is our Hrscwi. Here is a picture of a SP10 MK II plinth that is a composite stack with tulip wood veneer. It is still in progress, and this is just the veneered pic. But it is still a looker, and great build quality.

attachment.php

Regards
Mister Pig

Attachments

• SP10-A.jpg
    SP10-A.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 208
Yes I've been following your threads with great interest Mr Pig. That looks great! I'll be giving it a go myself, we'll see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm going to make a temporary plinth out of the cutout piece on the roll top, which I can just screw on to some boards, until I can get my stacked plywood plinth finished. I think I'm going to go with a Denon DL103 which will be a good match with the Empire 980 tonearm. I'm going crazy waiting to get this thing back from Jim! All this vinyl sitting around waiting for the privilege of going fora ride on the 124!!!

Beat, could you either pm me or post a pic of your 124 in the layered plinth? thanks!

My apologies for not seeing this earlier.

Here are some shots of my 1961 TD-124 in a Jim Campbell 4-layer plywood plinth, which was styled after the Ortofon plinths that were available in Europe.

20150624_083941_zpsf4lztsiz.jpg

20150624_083844_zpszfwkf452.jpg

20150624_083734_zpsm8ztsuoh.jpg

sme_zps4guuz9cj.jpg

Looks great Beatcomber! My 124 should arrive tomorrow back from James Campbell. Also, I bought a DL-103R which should get here tomorrow as well! Thing is I'm not done making my temporary plinth so it might be a day or two before I get it up and running. Hard to wait, hoping this all comes together well...

John,

Hmm, I might take you up on that if mine doesn't come together in the next few days...

Thanks!

No problem.

Btw There is a guy local with a CNC machine that charges $50 for setup then cost of plywood. I was going to have him cut out the blanks for me and jigsaw the inside myself. I figured at least the outside would be darn near perfect for veneer then. I can pass his info along if you like.

I've got my "temporary" plinth almost done, but it's turning out so nice, I may keep it. Sapele Mahogany sides with an MDF bottom. I should have it done by the end of the weekend...

Please post some pictures of it. That's a nice looking wood.

I got your pm btw. Just been swamped at work let me know if you still want the info after your build.

Here it is in progress:

I had the top cutout board from a friend who had a TD-124 in a console. So then I cut the sapele mahogany side pieces. They have been given three coats of Danish oil...The bottom is MDF which will be attached to some MDF corner blocks via screws so I can take it off if I need to unscrew the top piece, if that makes sense. I'd like to eventually have a nicer top piece.

I still need to sand the MDF and then paint it flat black, and then I will put some feet on the bottom. Right now I have some reproduction runner Marantz feet which will do till I get something better. The power and RCA cables will go out the bottom in the back...

Sorry for the terrible cell phone pics. I'll post good ones once it's all done...

That sapele looks awesome. Is the Danish oil just clear? Looks like to grain has some nice depth.

It looks like a modified version of the plinth one of mine came with.

Yeah just clear Danish oil. Thinking about putting wax on it but might not since it looks good already. The mdf bottom will go on tomorrow and hopefully I'll get her playing some tunes

Wow, this sounds great! Effortless, solid, consistent...

The DL-103 R is definitely the right cartridge for the Empire 980 tonearm. I have it tracking at 2.7g, and I'm blown away. I thought the Grace f9E Ruby that was on my 160 was supposed to be the best MM cartridge, but on this table and this tonearm, the 103R is just heads and shoulders above. I have my phono pre st to 470 ohms...

Back
Top Bottom