VPI Scout 1.1: Overkill or Just Right??

vivaperu348

Hello everyone! I'm hoping you guys can help me out here. So I've been doing hours of research and reading tons of reviews, and it appears that for not only my budget but for what I want to achieve, the VPI Scout with the Dynavector 10x or 20x would be the optimal option.

I am an avid Salsa and Latin Music collector and want to get the best sound I can when digitizing my music. The thing is, however, over the years, companies that have released Salsa music have been known for their cost-cutting measures when it came to sound mastering and vinyl production, ie using lots of dynaflex for their records. My question is, will buying a hi-fi audiophile equipment setup be overkill or would it really help with getting the best quality? Unfortunately, there aren't really audiophile pressings of Salsa music out there, there wasn't a market for it.

Thank you in advance for your expertise.

I think such a high-quality source should serve you well. Don't forget the phono preamp, too. Not paying attention to the phono preamp could easily lose what you've gained. It is the most important piece of electronics in a vinyl system, and often overlooked.

Greetings and welcome!

Very interesting set up and tonal.. means a 100khz capable audio in pre specs from 10-15-20hz? to 100khz in frequency. (speakers all aside).. just doable analog to digital. Then saving in formats. Linux windows? been thinking of linux on a pc xp too old to run but a good old box and power supply. I just don't like setting up linux for some reason but I know many run audio in production markets for same.

pretty good quality can be achieved at recording at standard 44 khz range. also have programs like audacity to help in refining. Tape recording can also help in with record cuts to tape if you have good stuff.

sure we can help out.

Last edited:
Yes, I also wanted to make sure I picked up a quality phono preamp, I just forgot to mention it. I read about how important it really is as well. Thanks for that!

From what I read, the Dynavector seems to work really well with the Scout but I'm wondering if anyone has other recommendations? I read that with the 20x its a very clear balanced sound and its something that really interests in. Of course, I'm very new to this and am open to any suggestions from more experienced and reputable sources like yourselves ;)

Thinking of saving to PC then using audacity or izotope. Was planning on using one of the higher end audigy sound cards to use to import.

Last edited:
Yes, I also wanted to make sure I picked up a quality phono preamp, I just forgot to mention it. I read about how important it really is as well. Thanks for that!

From what I read, the Dynavector seems to work really well with the Scout but I'm wondering if anyone has other recommendations? I read that with the 20x its a very clear balanced sound and its something that really interests in. Of course, I'm very new to this and am open to any suggestions from more experienced and reputable sources like yourselves ;)

Thinking of saving to PC then using audacity or izotope. Was planning on using one of the higher end audigy sound cards to use to import.
The Scout 1.1 is a very nice turntable. I strongly recommend buying the best cartridge you can afford.

Hey Mark, or anyone else, so you don't think the inferior nature of some of the vinyl records used won't be wasted on the superior turntable or cartridge?

Hey Mark, or anyone else, so you don't think the inferior nature of some of the vinyl records used won't be wasted on the superior turntable or cartridge?

The problem with high-end vinyl systems is that they will reveal everything on the record. If the recording was a bunch of musicians in isolation booths being pan-potted onto the soundstage, then the record will sound like a bunch of musicians in isolation booths. The more revealing the system, the more modern recordings will be shown for what they are. Many people don't like this effect.

On the other hand, old records recorded with simple equipment will sound fantastic. If they didn't have all that fancy modern stuff, and just sat around and sang together into a few microphones, it will sound like the musicians are right in your room.

As for vinyl quality, high-end equipment makes it easier to 'listen through' surface noise. The noise and the music are completely separate, unless the record is physically worn and the loudest parts have distortion. Random ticks, however, are not nearly as bothersome.

As for vinyl quality, high-end equipment makes it easier to 'listen through' surface noise. The noise and the music are completely separate, unless the record is physically worn and the loudest parts have distortion. Random ticks, however, are not nearly as bothersome.

IMHO I agree with your findings on vinyl and high end equipment. My original albums from the 60's and 70's seem to be easier to listen to, with each upgrade along the way.

My old Led Zep 4 and Tapestry by CK are OK to listen to now. Both are early pressings and I guess that line contact styli have something to do with it also.

This is my cautionary tale. That's how I got back into analog. Kids buy me an mp3 player. I buy a few digital LP's. Think hey why not digitize all those LP's I have in the basement. Start looking for a used table. OMG all the stuff I wanted when I was much younger and poorer was there for sale as well. Started with a HK T45C. Digitized a few LP's. Sounded nice but damn that analog sound was magic. Loved spinning the LP's, going thru the cleaning process, etc. Stopped digitizing and bought more gear, and more gear and well, more gear. I still buy and listen to digital but I have accumulated a ridiculous amount of analog music, cassettes, reels and LP's along with associated decks, tables, speakers, amps, pre's, tuners etc. All this because I wanted to digitize what I already had... just saying.

The Scout is a an excellent 'table that will still be going strong and sounding great many, many years from now.

And Dynavector cartridges are excellent matches with VPI 'tables. I have two (20X-L and 17D3 Karat) that I've used with my VPI's, and they always sound fantastic.

Thank you everyone! I pretty much thought this setup would be the best for me and I'm glad to hear that I may be going in the right step. Thank you everyone for your time and knowledge. Cheers!

Unless a record has been abused or it's a bad pressing, it will sound good if it's clean. Buying a RCM was one of the best investments I've made. If a RCM isn't in the budget, records can be hand washed. Just need something to cover the label, and label covers are inexpensive and readily available.

Ok, so far I've purchased the following:

Dynavector 20x2 Low Output
Musical Phonomena II+

I have to ask but has anybody had a chance to hear these new Pioneer PLX 1000 turntables? I was in the process of putting in an order for the Scout when I started reading reviews and user feedback about how exceptional this unit was. I am aware of the specs and the fact that its a Super OEM Hanpin, but these "flaws" don't seem to hinder the performance for some people. In fact, some even go on to say that its almost comparable to units that are priced up to 2k. The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if the difference in performance from the PLX to the Scout is really worth the extra $1300. Any feedback would be great since I'm straddling the fence and would really like to know what some of you might think. Thanks!!

There are a few reviews on AK on the Pioneer. If it were me, and I was looking at a Scout level table, I would keep going in that direction. But it is up to you.

I think you made an excellent choice, however I'm prejudiced :D

I cannot be more pleased with my Scout 2. When coupled with the Benz Micro Gold and a high gain phono pre, I was flabbergasted with the noise rejection and level of detail retrieval from my vinyl.

Meanwhile, I'm looking into upgrading my cart to see if I can gain additional performance.

You might want to check out VPI's forum and website:

http://vpiindustries.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=57
http://vpiindustries.com/cartridge.html

Hope this helps and...

Happy Listening!
DeeCee

The main quirk in VPI is its unipivot arm. If you can live with it, then Scout is better table. If not, then look at comparable alternatives like Clearaudio. This is of cause if you want NEW table. But for price of new Scout you can get exellent used table directly from Japan via http://www.hifido.co.jp/indexe.html or other outlets.

Don't know that the unipivot is a "quirk', just different and takes a little getting used to. For me about ten minutes. Definitely has advantages.

Back
Top Bottom