Please educate me on the Dual 601 table?

3kitty

Wondering for you Dual experts out there if you could share your experiences and expertise with me on this belt drive unit from Dual?

Picked one up recently (really wanted the cart/styli) from the original owner.
In original box, manuals, etc all there. Essentially mint - table and cover.

Here's the little I know - apparently one of the better Dual belt drives. Underrated and better then its pedestrian looks might indicate.

Early motor issues but replacements were available for those who wanted to fix the issue.

Strengths/weaknesses of the table?
Any other thoughts?

Just asking before I just turn around and sell it.

Just for information sake - what I was excited to find was a Shure V15III in immaculate condition with low hour Shure VN35MR mounted on the head shell and a brand new in box Shure VN35HE spare.

As you see in my sig - I lean toward DD tables. Wondering if this is maybe something I should hang onto for a different "flavour" and sound?

Thanks!

Well, I also tend towards DDs (and idlers). But the 601 has and is something special - it was the first belt-driven Dual, with a quite heavy rotating mass (metall platter+sub platter), the quite quirky pitch mechanics. The arm and it's bearins are very well constructed, also. It is a variation of the 1228/1229-arms.

The weak points are the motor, that can sometimes produce noice, and the strobe light that sometimes interferes with the pick-up.

Quite subjective: it's the only belt-driven Dual that stayed with me...

I'm newish to the vinyl hobby, and this past spring I bought a used 601 from Craigslist. I have some random motor issues where it speeds up to double time, but does't happen often. My automatic functions need repair, but otherwise I find it to be a really nice table. I was hoping to get a Shure V15III as well, but mine came with an Empire 4000 cart.

I swapped the Empire for the Denon DL110 and I couldn't be happier...except if I could swap the motor and get the auto function fixed...all these things I can have done or attempt on my own...one day...

One more thing, I personally love the way it looks. I may put it in a real wood base at some point, but I don't want to change anything about how it looks.

Overall I'm very pleased with it!

Back
Top Bottom