So I bought another turntable...

Eastham

More Class-A than ever!
Well Today I bought a Technics SL - 220 for a whopping £68 (probably too much), thought it would be a nice replacement for my SL-D202, what with it actually having a dust cover and individual pitch adjustment knobs for both speeds. It has a Ortofon Concorde DJ S cartridge and stylus which is another reason this TT peaked my interest, and was wondering if this cart and stylus is any good compared to my AT100E and Shure M75EJ, I noticed that the Ortofon new is worth more than what I paid for the TT itself, I will take some pic's as soon as she gets here for those who are interested, hopefully my new fujifilm point and shoot will be here by then and the pictures will be nice and crisp. I don't look forward to all the polishing I'm going to have to do to the lid to get it looking respectable again. :)

Fleabay pics.

2XkSUn1.jpg

iMixw5P.jpg

It sure is a sharp looking deck. I hope Mr DJ didn't beat it up too bad.

Same here worst case scenario the spindle bearings are worn, being a belt drive and not direct I'm not to worried about the motor and belts are cheap, after a good clean she should really shine, car scratch remover polish like T-Cut does wonders for old faded perspex lids with a lot of elbow grease, gunna have to dig trough my pile of dead turntables and parts and find a nice platter mat and maybe a head shell if this cart don't sound to hot, drench the pitch adjust trimmers in contact cleaner, should be a nice faithful companion for years to come.

I have one of these, modified to run at 33 and 78 RPM, and I have its fully-automatic brandmate, the SL-230. These turntables in good working order will punch well above their price points, in my experience.

In addition to the two user-adjustable speed control pots, there are two pots on the servo board that should be cleaned. The 33/45 switch should also get a shot of DeOxit while you're in there. The belt is a 23.6" part; I recommend a genuine PRB belt instead of the made-in-Taiwan knockoffs, as I've had audible flutter issues with the latter. The Technics SL-1200 headshell is still available from KAB as a service part and would be an excellent choice if you want to mount a standard cartridge.

I have one of these, modified to run at 33 and 78 RPM, and I have its fully-automatic brandmate, the SL-230. These turntables in good working order will punch well above their price points, in my experience.

In addition to the two user-adjustable speed control pots, there are two pots on the servo board that should be cleaned. The 33/45 switch should also get a shot of DeOxit while you're in there. The belt is a 23.6" part; I recommend a genuine PRB belt instead of the made-in-Taiwan knockoffs, as I've had audible flutter issues with the latter. The Technics SL-1200 headshell is still available from KAB as a service part and would be an excellent choice if you want to mount a standard cartridge.

Thanks for the heads up! Technics always seem to demand a higher price than most turntables, even some P-mounts see to demand over £100. I've always been hooked on Technics, my first semi decent turntable was a SL-B210 I tried to make a change to pioneer getting a PL-720 and later a PL-300 (which arrived with a very broken tonearm due to the counter balance being left on during shipping :/), but I always missed the quirky Technics design's like the sliding cue control and the weird dust cover mounting tabs that always break.

Pic's as promised, probably needs a belt it has trouble keeping pitch and sometimes requires pegging the 33rpm pot to run at the right speed, paint around the controls has sadly worn off and overall the TT was plain filthy, so I decided to take it all completely apart, cleaned all the plastics in the kitchen sink and used a tooth brush and some ear buds to clean the tonearm regressed/ oiled the components and put her back together sadly I think the dust cover is a lost cause common problem with the tabs being broken off and this horrible stuff that wont come off the side.

Attachments

• DSCF9228.jpg
    DSCF9228.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF9231.jpg
    DSCF9231.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCF9232.jpg
    DSCF9232.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 15
  • DSCF9233.jpg
    DSCF9233.jpg