CautIon with 1219,1229,1229Q and 1249 arms

stereofisher

Music forever
Subscriber
This subject has been written about before dealing with the selector on the bottom of the tonearm for single and multi play. Was curious on how it works. Have one 1219 that's frozen. Left it alone. Stuck on single play. The other 1219 and 1229 are free. Wanted to see how it works using my parts unit. The selector was forced and it was broken. As said in prior posts, if you force it, the arm is toast. What as mess! Just a friendly reminder. If you have a 1219 or 1229 with a frozen selector, get help! It's one thing I won't touch. Thought I could use the parts unit as a guinea pig. May still take the arm apart sort of an autopsy. Definitely won't touch the working Duals!

Eric

I seem to recall that something breaks that is hard to replace or hard to get a replacement for...or both. I know the answer to your question is somewhere in the hundreds of pages of Dual discussion posts, but it's been quite a while since I read it. I just leave that stinkin lever alone on my 1229!

If you don't get your answer promptly enough PM notransistors or bohhey, as each of them will know the complete answer.

The part that breaks is called the dearing ring and has generally been unavailable and it cannot be re-glued back together. But now a guy on the vinylengine.com Dual forum is having new ones N/C machined. Check it out.
Rick

Yeah, I leave mine alone

I seem to recall that something breaks that is hard to replace or hard to get a replacement for...or both. I know the answer to your question is somewhere in the hundreds of pages of Dual discussion posts, but it's been quite a while since I read it. I just leave that stinkin lever alone on my 1229!

If you don't get your answer promptly enough PM notransistors or bohhey, as each of them will know the complete answer.

Since I don't stack my bedroom 1219 was left alone. Had it two years now since the cleaning and relube. End the day. With the second one living in the shop set. It is working well. The motor is quiet but it's getting cleaned and lubed after vacation. Will adjust the set down as its too far in and the music starts too soon. Played several Billy Holiday Lps new to me. Sounded good thru the bench Pioneer SX 850 and new to me Pioneer CS 201a speakers. Got luck here. They were free. I am leaving the stinking thing alone too.

Eric

Yep, totally removed mine because I moved it to multi play (for no good reason because I don't stack records), then it wouldn't return. Took all the ball bearings out, everything, cleaned and re-lubed, set at single play and I have never touched it again. I love the cartridge on this Dual and that is why I still have it.

Back
Top Bottom