Problems with a PD-4100 CD Player

marini

vinyl-addicted
Hi all,

I just got a Pioneer PD-4100 CD Player and it has an issue.
No matter what CD I try to play, it identifies it (shows correct number of tracks / total length), but keeps spinning for a while and then stops. It doesn't play any tracks.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I had a problem with the linkage for the tray/slide on mine (same unit). Disassembly, cleaning, and regreasing with white lithium grease (Lubriplate) and coincidentally cleaning the optics solved my loading problem and improved the playback/track recognition time.

It can't hurt to open it up and clean the slides and optical pickup.

Mine is serving a 950 as AUX input and as a drip tray:

SX-950Racked.jpg

Last edited:
I had read a great thread from a AK member and I think its Sticky but I can't find it. He had outlined all the problematic CD player issues and the fixes. I am looking, using a Google search with ? :Audiokarma. No luck yet. Should of saved it. Poopy

I think this is the AK member, CD Guru "dr*audio"

Last edited:
Bam!

Ask and receive! Way too good! :yes:

Thanks WH, it's saved this time. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Thanks both for that. I'll check it out.

I've cleaned the lens and the tray/slide. No luck though.

Following that thread, I can say...

1) The CD loads fine and shows the TOC.
2) The lens is popping up/down and I noticed the laser (red light).
3) If I skip through tracks, the pickup moves forward/backward.
4) I've used deoxit on every contact.
5) I've cleaned and lubed the pickup running post and the tray/slider.
6) The motor is pulling fine and the belt is in good condition.

Still, it doesn't play. It keeps spinning and making that scratchy noise until a point where it stops.

What else can I do?

I read this from the info given in the link above:

dr*audio:
4-29-12
If the table of contents is displayed but the player doesn't play, the pickup is either bad or the internal adjustments must be performed. A scope is necessary for this.

Hi zebulon1,

Yes, I saw this aswell.
But as I'm a total newbie and don't even have a scope, I think this is the end of the line.

Thanks for the tip anyway.

Marini before you throw in the towel try cleaning the laser lens itself with a q-tip and some pure distilled water don't let any water make it's way into the body of the laser though put one drop on a clean cotton swab.

Find out who made the transport. You might find a cheap donor unit to salvage.
PM dr*audio. See if he responds with a suggestion. Worth a shot.

Masterdraco, I've done that already. Thanks!

zebulon1, I'll give him a shout. I just saw another CDP like this on the auctions site and am keeping an eye to see for how much it will go. It's a black one (mine is silver), so I could maybe get one out of two. :)

Yep, either the adustments are off or the laser power is so low that it can read the TOC but not play the data. You need a scope at this point. Knowing what I know about Pioneer lasers, it is likely the laser is bad.

Pickup is PWY1003, replaced with PWY1010. Refer to Pioneer parts website for cross reference. Please - NO WATER CLEANING on Pioneer pickup lenses. The original glue used is hygroscopic, and additional water exposure may lead to pick-up lens loosening in it's socket. I always fortify the bond with epoxy when working on those players.
I do disassemble pick-ups for cleaning and repairs as needed - I do remove the lens if I need to clean inner lens surface. Laser diode and the diffraction prism and optics are accessible ,too, but would not advise to do it for a beginner. Use 99.9 isopropyl or 96 ethanol for cleaning.
Doctor has it laid out it all good, the scope is a must to proceed with your problem. The issue is that decent analog scope is much more expensive than PD-4100.
Scratchy noise means proper tracking can not be achieved - sadly, that means the scope is needed.

Back
Top Bottom