How can I get a DEQ2496 to fit in between my SPDIF converter and DAC?

tomlinmgt

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I want to try this digital xover out in my rig but want it to remain in the digital domain. My source is primarily my laptop, but from time to time I'll use the CDP. I have a Musical Fidelity V-Link 192 USB/SPDIF converter that the laptop feeds into and from there I go into my outboard DAC with a digital coax cable. Can I use that AES/EBU input/ouput on the Behringer and have cables made up with the proper terminations (RCA?) on either end so the crossover can be inserted into the signal path where I want (digital coax out of the V-Link into DEQ and digital coax into the DAC from the DEQ)?

behringer_deq2496_a1.jpg

Thanks,
Michael

Last edited:
I use a CA DacMagic Plus as my USB to optical converter. It's cool because I can run all my digital stuff into it (cd player, laptop, TV). It's very versatile but this is what I use it for.

Try using the DAC in the DEQ2496....you might be surprised....I was.

If you've read the other threads you'd know that I can't say enough about the 2496. I've tried almost every combination with my gear but found that this worked best:

Laptop (usb)--->DacMagic Plus (usb-spdif)--->DEQ2496 (digital eq and DAC)--->Preamp--->Amps.

...and yes, the only way to benefit from the 2496 is in the digital domain. I think you'll dig it.:yes:

I feed my DEQ2496 from a S/PDIF pc output. I've replaced the Behringer analog output section with high quality line matching transformers. The transformation of the sound was dramatic with the transformers. You might try a direct connection to the AES connections, set the output in the menu to S/PDIf and see what happens. You can also find a resistive matching circuit on the web that will match the 50 to 75 ohms impedances. That's what I did. I put the resistors inside the XLR shell.

Attachments

• Behringer digital interface cabling.jpg
    Behringer digital interface cabling.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 25
I use a CA DacMagic Plus as my USB to optical converter. It's cool because I can run all my digital stuff into it (cd player, laptop, TV). It's very versatile but this is what I use it for.

Try using the DAC in the DEQ2496....you might be surprised....I was.

If you've read the other threads you'd know that I can't say enough about the 2496. I've tried almost every combination with my gear but found that this worked best:

Laptop (usb)--->DacMagic Plus (usb-spdif)--->DEQ2496 (digital eq and DAC)--->Preamp--->Amps.

...and yes, the only way to benefit from the 2496 is in the digital domain. I think you'll dig it.:yes:

If my two sources are cdp and laptop (via the V-Link USB/SPDIF converter) then I'd essentially have two digital coax sources that would need to be converted to optical. The DAC Magic has two digital coax inputs and one digital output. Could I effectively use the DAC Magic as a converter/switcher only? By inputting my two different sources into the DAC Magic I would get the convenience of push button switching between the two and each would get converted to optical which I could then run into the optical input of the DEQ and then use the optical output from the DEQ into my outboard DAC effectively keeping the DEQ in the digital domain. Correct? Used DAC Magics are pretty affordable (I've been seeing them for under two bills), so if this could work I'd certainly give it very strong consideration.

The DAC Magic has two digital coax inputs and one digital output. Could I effectively use the DAC Magic as a converter/switcher only? By inputting my two different sources into the DAC Magic I would get the convenience of push button switching between the two and each would get converted to optical which I could then run into the optical input of the DEQ and then use the optical output from the DEQ into my outboard DAC effectively keeping the DEQ in the digital domain. Correct?

Correct. I input my laptop via USB, cd player via coax, tv via optical and they all go out as optical to the DEQ2496. The push button switching is nice....and yes, for what you want to do with your coax inputs...it will work.

Might be harder to find, and not sure about current cost, but I have a Zektor HDS4.1 switcher that I was using to switch multiple multichannel sources into one analog multichannel input.

What's the point you ask? Well, it a fairly high quality switcher that can be remote controlled and the applicability in this case is that it also has four coaxial and four toslink inputs. It also has two coaxial outputs and one toslink output. All coaxial inputs are output on the coaxial jacks as well as converted and output as toslink. Same with the toslink inputs, they are output as toslink as well as converted and output from the coaxial jacks.

I think it makes a great 4 input digital system switcher if you could find one at decent price. I use mine on occasion to switch/convert between multiple coaxial/toslink digital sources and a MSB Link DAC.

I use a DEQ2496 and I use those Monoprice boxes to convert analog sources to optical and they work fine. My main complaint about the DEQ2496 is that, although you can control just about everything with this unit, you can't control the level of the the digital source input. I have a Motorola FIOS cable box and the SPDIF output of that thing permanently runs the DEQ2496 input into the red zone. I gave up and use the Monoprice converters to convert the Motorola analog audio into digital - it works, but I'm not happy about it.

Last edited:
I use a DEQ2496 and I use those Monoprice boxes to convert analog sources to optical and they work fine. My main complaint about the DEQ2496 is that, although you can control just about everything with this unit, you can't control the level of the the digital source input. I have a Motorola FIOS cable box and the SPDIF output of that thing permanently runs the DEQ2496 input into the red zone. I gave up and use the Monoprice converters to convert the Motorola analog audio into digital - it works, but I'm not happy about it.
There is no such thing as "digital red zone". Your cable box likely outputs DD signal. Behringer can only deal with PCM. You have to reconfigure cable box to PCM mode, if possible.

Another thing is that DEQ2496 happily works with SPDIF inputs and outputs simply using XLR to RCA cable adapters. No need to use any converters. You can always use its Toslink output too. What you cannot do is to input analog and output digital (do not know why designers didn't this useful feature).

There is no such thing as "digital red zone". Your cable box likely outputs DD signal. Behringer can only deal with PCM. You have to reconfigure cable box to PCM mode, if possible.

Another thing is that DEQ2496 happily works with SPDIF inputs and outputs simply using XLR to RCA cable adapters. No need to use any converters. You can always use its Toslink output too. What you cannot do is to input analog and output digital (do not know why designers didn't this useful feature).

The FIOS box is configured to do PCM but the Behringer still shows continuous clipping. I have no problems with any other SPDIF source, just the SPDIF out of the FIOS box. What's strange is that my other D-A converter reads this FIOS box OK.

Last edited:
I went with a DSpeaker Antimode 8033. Works like a charm and stays totally out of the way of the main line level signal. I'm so pleased with it, in fact, that I'd like to write a detailed thread on its benefits, implementation and performance. I'm pretty much convinced that it's a critical component of any serious effort to implement a subwoofer/distributed bass.

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/anti-mode-8033.shtml

I wasn't aware that the purpose was directed at only tuning your subs. The 2496 would be very limited in that regard. Looks like you made the right decision...glad it's working out for you.

If you ever consider it again, the 2496 works awesome for EQing the system as a whole. I can't say enough about it....couldn't go without it.

I have a Motorola FIOS cable box and the SPDIF output of that thing permanently runs the DEQ2496 input into the red zone.
Even with the 'MAX' button in the lower output setting?

...just thought I'd throw that out there in case you overlooked it.:smoke:

^^^

Fortunately, I have the luxury of a dedicated listening space which affords me the opportunity to adorn it with a host of acoustic treatment devices. I've measured the room response with the Dayton OmniMic and for everything over 150 Hz it's sufficiently good enough I don't feel the need for anything in the signal path that would afford any correction. However, I'll soon be returning to my journey into DIY (open baffles) and with some drivers a little EQ manipulation may be necessary in which case I'll give the DEQ some serious consideration.

Sorry if my post is in the wrong place but I just have a question about the DEQ2496 and seems like a lot of knowledgeable people chiming in here. Basically, I want to use the DEQ2496 with my turntable but I keep getting told to use the DEQ2496 only with digital inputs, sounds like the analog inputs leave a lot to be desired. Is there any way to do this? Can I use one of those Parasound Zphono phono stages with USB output to feed into my PC and pass through in SPDIF from there? (the PC is my other source). Or do I need a dedicated AD convertor box? If so, which one would you recommend that is both affordable and "audiophile acceptable" :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!

What you're describing should work fine. The A/D conversion would be done by the Parasound phono stage. I have used a similar NAD phono stage in such a setup, and it worked fine.

A/D and D/A in this s Behringer is not that bad. Of cause it is better use it with digital ins and outs, but it can be used in analog mode between pre- and power amp. For vinyl playback you will unlikely hear a difference. ADC in Zphono is unlikely better than one in DEQ. And if you an to pass all audio through computer, you would be better using software processing instead of external device.

Back
Top Bottom