Rare, hard to find, uncommon Pioneer components

Dr. Strangelove

For those of us who are in to collecting Pioneer components, what are the components you feel are the more difficult to find, prior to 1985?

Items that I see as being difficult (from "almost impossible" to "showing up on ebay every couple of months") are:

SD-1000
SD-1100
P-D1
P-D70
Series 20 components
HPM-150/HPM-1500
DS-40F
MXA-1
SM-Q300

But these are part of a group of components that I am interested in, so I am not looking at other components from other groups.
Doc

I've been looking at components from the SA/TX-x10 series from the early 80s on eBay for over a year now. The TX-710, one of Pioneer's earliest digital tuners, has only been up for sale on eBay once in the past year, that I know of.

Yes, I had noticed the TX-710 on my database of components, but had not seen any.

Another couple of components that come to mind are the SX-D5000 and SX-D7000 receivers. You see them every now and then.

Another rare component is the PA-1000 tone arm for the PLC-590 turntable (but those fall into the Series 20 group).

Doc

How about a RA-10 ( I think that model number is correct) a half size reverb unit I have one but have never seen another.

Doc the SD-1000 has sold three times on ebay in the last two months. Most likely due to the Christmas push. I have been doing an on going search on them mostly for fun as I doubt I will every buy one.

Can I ask what components these are:

DS-40F
MXA-1
SM-Q300

I'm not aware of the model numbers.

Maron Horonzakz said:
I find the Fm tuner F-26 & the C 21 preamp hard to find. I hope to continue my quest this year.

Yep, those would be part of Doc's 20 series he mentions above.

Being an avid Pioneer collector myself, pretty much self-regulated to the SPEC components now, the only item that Doc mentions here that I own, is the P-D70 CDP, but I am fortunate enough to have two. Just got my second one here locally through eBay not too long ago. Price was actually pretty decent too, at least, not as much as I had been seeing them go for.

Retro

Mark W. said:
Can I ask what components these are:

DS-40F
MXA-1
SM-Q300

I'm not aware of the model numbers.

The DS-40F is a "Stereo Switch", which allows on-the-fly configuration of a number of amps to be connected to a number of R2Rs and TTs, and have its output directed to 1 of 10 different speaker pairs.

The SM-Q300 is a tube receiver, that does AM, SW, and FM. Although it can receive FM, it needed a decoder to split it into left and right channels, which the MXA-1 (and MXA-3, both also tube based) did.

The DS-40F was superceded by the DS-55F, both of which were primarily "dealer only" components.

Yes, the SD-1000s have shown up and have sold recently, but more likely part of the holiday season. All of the components discussed thus far have shown up, here or there, but still the numbers are relatively few. That's the point: which are the rare, seldom seen, hard-to-find components in the Pioneer space prior to 1985?

Doc

madpioneer said:
How about a RA-10 ( I think that model number is correct) a half size reverb unit I have one but have never seen another.

Sounds interesting. What is the year of manufacture?

Doc

Retro Stereo said:
the only item that Doc mentions here that I own, is the P-D70 CDP, but I am fortunate enough to have two.

Retro

One of the really, really rare items is the remote control that was an option for the P-D70: the JP-521

Doc

Attachments

• JP-521.jpg
    JP-521.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 2,476
Dr. Strangelove said:
The DS-40F is a "Stereo Switch", which allows on-the-fly configuration of a number of amps to be connected to a number of R2Rs and TTs, and have its output directed to 1 of 10 different speaker pairs.

Doc

The DS-40F, from what I remember, was mainly "given" to electronic stores that were selling Pioneer equipment, so they could give potential customers demonstrations of various Pioneer equipment by just, "flipping a switch", so to speak.

Retro

DS-55F is very hard to find, yes. The Exclusive-Series M3 C4 M4 C4 M6 M7 C7 are hard to find, too.
I am searching for the Power Amp SM-3000, very hard to find.
I was lucky to find the very rare QA-800A :yes:

IM3070.jpg

ql600aqa800a7fe.jpg

siamac~ In the speaker display thingy above -- are the numbers shown with lightbulb filament? If so that pretty dern cool.

dew.

Please ask "Doc" for details :yes:

I was highest bidder in a JT-211 auction, very, very rare. It is the remote for RT-2022/4044. I couldn´t reach the reserve-price, he wanted $200,- + shipping, but that was over my Limit.

Last edited:
I believe the RA-10 is around 75' or 76'. Will post a pic soon.
I have a TX-D1000 and aren't seldom seen on the 'bay'.
U-24 comes to mind selector unit but then again is from the 20 series.
how about MA-62 mixing board?

Originally Posted by Retro Stereo Being an avid Pioneer collector myself, pretty much self-regulated to the SPEC components now, the only item that Doc mentions here that I own, is the P-D70 CDP, but I am fortunate enough to have two. Just got my second one here locally through eBay not too long ago. Price was actually pretty decent too, at least, not as much as I had been seeing them go for.

Great! Retro Glad to hear this! Specially after I kept posting ANY P-D70 listing on the 'bay' and drawing more attention to it giving you fustration attacks.
What is the condition? How do you compare the sound of it to newer players?

dew042 said:
siamac~ In the speaker display thingy above -- are the numbers shown with lightbulb filament? If so that pretty dern cool.

dew.

Depending on the version of the DS-40F, the set of speakers was indicated by two nixie tubes (as shown with the DS-55F that Siamac pictured), or by a pair of 12v lamps (one for each speaker set). By the way, those nixie tubes are the largest I have ever seen, and I have not been able to find any other equipment that used these particular tubes.

Doc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom