Advice on Pioneer SA9900 vs. Marantz

kbs022

Greetings. I'm look for advice from everyone who is much more knowledgeable on audio equipment than myself. I currently have a Pioneer SA9900 pushing 2 Klipsch KLF 30's. I know the KLF 30's are rated at 200w and the 9900 is somewhere around 110w per channel. The speakers sound fantastic, but I'm curious if they can sound even better if I choose a different amp. I've been researching various vintage Marantz amps and I would like any recommendations on whether I should stick with the 9900 or upgrade to something else. I'm also not opposed to investing in a recent model amp if it will provide results. Also, I would eventually like to purchase another set of of Klipsch KLF 30's and run 4 speakers if possible. Whichever amp I go with will only be used for music, and if it matters, I only play vinyl (Technics 1200 m5g). Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

If the question is do you need more power to run the KLFs, then the answer is no. The 9900 has more than enough power to run efficient speakers and you're probably only using 1 to 2 watts at normal listening levels.

If you're asking whether a different sounding amp will make the KLFs sound better then that's really up to personal taste. We all have opinions on what amp would sound best but the only method is for the user to listen to their speaker with different amps and then make their own opinion. Personally, I prefer accurate sound on my klipsch and do prefer some brands over others (again personal opinion that won't help you). A modern amp, in my personal opinion, would sound better than a 9900 but at very much higher prices than the 9900 (I don't have the 9900 but have the 9500 and 9500II recapped and klipsch heritage).

Thanks for the advice. In your opinion, if I decide to switch over to a modern amp, what features should I look for in terms of watts/power, brand, etc.? Thanks again.

Phono stage, tone controls and at least 100 watts (although you can do well with less on a 102db@1watt/meter speaker). There's a modern day hi fi forum where you can ask for guidance.
Also look into updating the KLF, new titanium tweeter and mids and new capacitors for the crossover. Bracing of the cabinet if you are handy with woodwork. Ask for guidance at the Klipsch forum.

Good advice from fernarias.

I have both vintage\modern Marantz, an SA8100 and multiple Klipsch. The closest Klipsch I have to your klf30's is a set of klf20's.

In order of importance (IMO).
1) Ti tweets (first because so cheap and easy)
2) KLF baffle check - if the baffles on your KLF's haven't been re-glued, I'm betting they are loose and not well glued. Search and you will find what I mean.
3) Crossovers - I put in a set of Crites (not cheap) and the SQ improvement was quite evident. A good move if you can afford it.
4) Amp swapping. I can't comment on what sounds good in your room\system but I mostly use a newer Marantz 2.1 channel amp with phono imput - it's a "SR-4023" - works will with my high eff Klipsch. It's not "warm" at all, more transparent than the vintage amps.

Attachments

• DSCF1534.jpg
    DSCF1534.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF1538.jpg
    DSCF1538.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF1529.jpg
    DSCF1529.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
If you switch to a vintage Marantz amp it will sound different. Some describe the vintage Marantz sound "warm" and many people like it. Personally I prefer the Pioneer over Marantz but you may not, and I tried to like the Marantz sound. You should try to listen to a Marantz amp if possible before buying one.

I would stick with the Pioneer and listen to some different speakers.

I'd say try and let your eats decide .. just make it a just comparison. get the SA9900 recapped , you will see it will return the BEAST into it. That's how I felt with my SA8500II a while back.

I had a nice, perfect sa 9500 mk.2, feeding dcm 700 timeframes ,tf 500s,jbl l 40,or dynaco a25s..i have 3 t.ts.sl q2, rega and Denon, all loaded with great carts.i then got a serviced, re capped marantz 1150d.i prefered the 1150d.i found the pioneer a little bass shy, but punchy and tight.the 1150d had superior damping, producing thicker bass.i noticed vinyl playback, the woofers stayed tighter in movement, more control with bass turned up, thus could turn up to louder .then I came into a sx1250.blew them both away.but thats getting off target.i liked both, the marantz more for vinyl.a toss up with cds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom