Problem with my Yamaha RX-500U stereo receiver

mikhs

I've had my Yamaha RX-500U stereo receiver for about 25 years. It still sounds and works great except for a very loud high-pitch screech comming through the speakers when adjusting the volume. It happens whether I turn the volume dial manually or using the remote. Once the volume is set it sounds fine.

This has been going on for several years (not sure at this point if it started after I bought new speakers a few years back).

Does anyone know what could be the cause? Can it be fixed? I hope I don't have to replace it? It would be a shame as it still sounds great.

Last edited:
Just hose it down with electrical cleaner / alcohol. No need to disassemble - the fluid will get in there somehow as fluids tend to do.

^^ He is pulling your chain ^^

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/rx-500.shtml

Is this screech noise in the speakers or coming from within the reciever ?

Its going to take a little disassembly to gain good access to the actual dual potentiometer in front of the motor assembly. Need to get some Deox-it into the opening of each segment of the control which are located closest to the printed circuit board.

^^ He is pulling your chain ^^

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/rx-500.shtml

Is this screech noise in the speakers or coming from within the reciever ?

Its going to take a little disassembly to gain good access to the actual dual potentiometer in front of the motor assembly. Need to get some Deox-it into the opening of each segment of the control which are located closest to the printed circuit board.

The noise is coming through the speakers at a very high volume (even when the volume level is set relatively low).
I assume it originates at the receiver though, as it happens only when the volume knob/dial on the receiver is being turned.

I am not totally useless with my hands but I am nervous about taking appart a sensitive electronic device. I have no clue what either potentiometer or Deox-it is. I guess I will need to do some internet research (googling) to find out.

Back
Top Bottom